Saturday, January 16, 2010

Indoor Games

So what is a hound to do when temperatures are freezing and snow is on the ground? Play outside?

Playing outside wore off quickly. Good thing I stuffed 21 Kongs the day before and froze them. I believe it is a mixture of kibble, canned pumpkin, and cottage cheese.So now what? As part of Katie's rehab for her neurological problem, I have been very good about continuing her cavaletti work. The cavalettis make her step high and flex all of her joints. A good exercise for a dog that was once dragging her left hind leg.It has been too cold and muddy outside so I cleaned off my broad jump boards and brought them inside. Unfortunately, the only room with carpet is our little office. So I flipped up the mattress the dogs lie on to create a small work area. Normally, we do cavalettis in a straight line, but this little room gave us a new variation.

You probably remember the wobble board from a past post. Katie still hates it and probably always will. I did find that stuffing blankets underneath it to reduce the tipping even more helped both Reagan and Katie to work it. Reagan is very comfortable on it now.

I also taught Reagan and Riley about the Roll-A-Treat. As they roll the ball, pieces of kibble fall out of the hole. Unfortunately, it appears to be discontinued because I could not find a link for you. However, a Buster Cube is very similar.

Lastly, find a sunny spot and soak up some warm rays of sunshine.

9 comments:

Sara said...

Wow! That sure is a lot of kongs! LOVE the last photo.

Mad Red Hare said...

I never saw so many kongs before! I really need to get some of those. I was in Atlanta last week for the Gift Mart, it was so cold!

houndstooth said...

Looks like a good cure for cabin fever to me!

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

Cabin Fever Fun would have been a good post title. MRHare, you picked a bad time to come to Atlanta.... normally our winters are pretty bearable. :-) Yes, lots of Kongs. I think I have about 30. If you buy a bunch, buy them online. Better price than PetsMart for sure.

Aragon greyhounds said...

Great idea on the broad jumps for working Katie's leg. Will use the idea for clients in the future.

Reagan looks much more comfortable now on the wobble board.

IHateToast said...

Camp NSNG!
Now I have a boy and a girl in a little canoe in my head.

Life With Dogs said...

This was out first weekend out after nearing 40 for two days, but I'm sure by next weekend it will be frozen kong time again. Best invention ever!

greytblackdog said...

Frozen kongs are king. That pic cracks me up. We don't have 30, but I think we have 8 for our 2 girls. Have you tried the K9 Genius yet? You'd love it! You can link them together and make them harder to use. Awesome stuff. Seka loves hers.

http://www.petexpertise.com/treat-puzzle-toys/canine-genius-leo-puzzle-toy.html

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

I might have to get some K9 Geniuses (that sounds funny doesn't it) toys. Linking them together sounds really interesting for a bored hound. Katie is the only one that gets 1-3 Kongs per day, but this might be a nice change.... not that she's all that into change these days. Probably more forgiving if there is food involved though. Thanks!