Thursday, December 10, 2009

Wobble Board

A friend loaned me a wobble board which is used to teach a dog how to handle movement under their feet. I thought it might be beneficial to Reagan as we work through her teeter retraining. Unfortunately, we had a recent set back on the teeter. She had worked back up to a full sized teeter, but was asked to do a teeter away from home that was unsteady and she did not like it at all. I think Reagan is now suspicious of "away" teeters, but is completely confident at home. I really wanted to avoid this, but no avoiding it now.

I thought it would also be beneficial for Katie to give the wobble board a try. She definitely does not like movement under her feet anymore, so its something challenging we can do indoors for with a clicker.
Reagan does not like the tipping either. She is willing, but cautious.
Riley, on the other hand, is hell bent for leather. She was hilarious and a stark contrast to the other two. Riley needs no wobble board work.

3 comments:

BrittBeah said...

I got a good giggle out of listening to the envious pups whinning in the next room. Happens here all the time.
Reagan really looks great in her coat and body tone.

Laura of the Kudzu said...

That wobble board has a really big base. Is there an advantage to the widish box base over the round, knob type one I've seen on others? None of my pups care for the wobble board, though Venus walks on unstable surfaces frequently without issue. Venus & Luna are rather like Reagan. Luke, well he would turn himself inside out for a treat so he doesn't count.

That Riley though, she is a hoot! Tell your Snookums that dogs with no fear of wobbly, unstable footing make great hiking dogs. ;)

I agree with Britt. Reagan looks fantastic.

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

Laura, I am not sure about the base as this is the only wobble board I have played with. For Katie and Reagan, it wobbles too much so I have stuffed some blankets under it to reduce the wobble even more. This helped Reagan a lot and she is really happy walking across it for treats now and I've started pulling out the more and more of the sheets from underneath.

Katie still hates it, but not a lot of options with her and its a great indoor exercise and a good challenge for her core muscles.

Wish Reagan would grow her ham hair back, but otherwise she is so red and healthy looking. Thanks for noticing.

Jen