Sunday, March 15, 2009

S.L.O.P.

Here is the latest S.L.O.P. (Superior Life Optimizing Pudding) or veggie mix recipe. Because I am keeping a food diary for Reagan, I wanted the mix to contain vegetables and fruits only. Normally, I will add meat, yogurt, eggs, or cottage cheese, for example, to improve the taste. However, this time I wanted it to be purely vegetarian so I would have less variables to contend with. Garlic is always a great additive. The dogs seem to love the taste and smell. I also avoided items like radishes and bell peppers and added more fruits.
This mix is also a great example of using what you already have. I had frozen green beans and peas that were leftover from making vegetable soup this winter. I am also on a strawberry kick, so I generously cut the tops off for the hounds. In addition, I added carrots, parsley, kale, spinach, tomatoes, apples, a kiwi, and a garlic clove.

For more S.L.O.P recipes, click on the following:


Lastly, please vote for Katie in the Bissell photo contest if you have not already. You can only vote once. The contest ends on Tuesday, I believe. If you are not shy, please forward to your friends. I greatly appreciate it.

I promise to get back to some training posts! I attended an obedience seminar today, so I am really excited about working on what we learned.

6 comments:

Aragon greyhounds said...

You could culture the stool for Salmonella,Campylobacter and have it evaluated for Clostridium perfringens enterotoxin and see if any turns up positive. Also look for occult giardia. You could do blood work looking at serum cobalamine and folate and see if she has underlying primary bowel disease.As a last resort she may need endoscopy for bowel biopsies. Also dogs with inflammatory bowel disease often get bacterial overgrowth. Why not consider putting her on a course of metronidazole-that is what I always do when my greys have diarrhea. It almost always works by changing bacterial flora.

BrittBeah said...

Yeah, what she (Aragon GH) said ;)

Jemma and Tofu said...

How come when you make SLOP, it always seems so nice and tidy? When I make my dog's veggie mix, the whole kitchen is disastrous, LOL.

greytblackdog said...

Yeah, I don't know how in the world you keep your SLOP so nice and pretty and your kitchen seems so clean. My kitchen always looks like it has exploded.

I've always wanted to put bell peppers in the SLOP but wasn't sure if they would eat them. I will try it next time.

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

Thanks for the info, Helen.

I make a mess too. I just crop it out with Photoshop :-).

Jen

xracermom said...

Will you please come and cook for Dan and me?
Thanks.
Oh, the greyhounds are fine on their diet. It is us humans who need help.