Saturday, December 27, 2008

Holiday S.L.O.P.

I have been a bad raw-food-diet-feeding mother. I ran out of SLOP (Superior Life Optimizing Pudding) or veggie mix a few weeks ago. With a few days off, I found the time to whip up a new batch.


The mix included cranberries, blackberries, garlic, a pear, collard greens, celery, carrots, brussell sprouts, and for flavor..... turkey liver and cottage cheese.
I also did something new this time. I will often add water to the mix because it helps the food processor puree the mix smoothly. This time I added some caffeine free green tea. I have started drinking hot green tea and I have been intrigued by the health benefits. So I heated a pot of water with a couple of tea bags and included some nettles and dandelion leaf along with it. I added the anti-oxidant and vitamin rich water to the mix as needed.

10 comments:

Addie said...

I think the thoughtful addition of the tea, nettles, and dandelion leaf make up for the lack of SLOP in the past couple of weeks.

I admit that I also need to get with the program, because it's been a few weeks since my guys have had their mix, too...something about being busy with the holidays. I love the idea of using cranberries this time - very festive!

Addie

Barb said...

I have referred to the veggie mix as a "tonic" but I love your acronym better!!

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

I got excited about the fresh cranberries too!

A friend and I coined the SLOP acronym at a boring BARF diet propaganda seminar by Londsdale.

Jen

Emma's Mom said...

Jen,
All I can say is that I hope you and SB eat as healthily as the fur-babies! How much of this 'SLOP' do you 'serve' each day....a dollop, 1/4 cup, 1/2 cup? Do you give enzyme supplements? Do the raw greens and brussel sprouts give them a lot of gas?
Thanks for the visuals that you post; they're helpful. ;-)
Debbie

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

I wish I ate as healthy as the dogs, but free will gets in the way of that sometimes. I do try.

I just give one tablespoon dollop of SLOP a day. In general, I do not notice it causing gas. I will say that some of my dogs are better in the GI department than others. But the SLOP does not seem to change that.

Jen

greytblackdog said...

i may try your recipe this week. it's slop time for the GBD house too. my girls eat it ok, but i think i need to add something other than fish to the mix to make it enjoyable. livers may do the trick.

i'm also experimenting with my food dehydrator this week. i've had it forever. i wonder what i can make into treats?

Zan said...

I love the idea of green tea. I'll have to try it out on my two. I'm also behind in the SLOP department.

Snobound said...

I think the raw diet is interesting, but we've never done it simply because we've had too many dogs in the past (sleddog kennel of 15), and we've found great high protein racing food in dry kibble, which keeps the weight on the sled down considerably.

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

Feeding 6 greyhounds this way is not too bad, but 15 sled dogs who probably need a lot of calories.... that's a different story :-).

Jen

IHateToast said...

i sold my fp on ebay. aw man. i never had any use for it. now i see this.

i love that it looks like spew from the get-go. make it for the dogs and for halloween pranks.