Monday, January 12, 2009

Pins and Needles


Katie continues to get a refresher in rehab for the Fibrocartilaginous Emboli (FCE) that occurred in October 2007. Last week, she received more acupuncture.

Acupuncture is so hokey to me. I do not understand it at all, but I do know I have seen immediate improvements.

I strongly recommend it for spinal issues (other than spinal tumors). Diagnosing spinal problems can be very expensive and the surgeries to correct the problem are also very expensive.... not to mention the rehab that follows. If you cannot afford to proceed, before losing hope, I strongly suggest giving acupuncture a try. It is well worth a try and may bring your dog significant relief.


My vet uses electro acupuncture. The needles are hooked up to a machine that stimulates the needles with a little bit of electricity (I believe I have that right).


Katie also went swimming again at Wag-N-Swim. The facility has changed. The pool is now an in-ground pool surrounded by a huge bubble to hold in heat. The water is still very warm and is perfect for swimming a greyhound in the winter. It was very steamy, so my pictures are not very good.


Like everything else in life, Katie swims for food. She swam until she just about couldn't swim anymore, but you would not have known after a short rest. Crazy 10 year old!



The floaty around her neck keeps her head and ears above water.


Lastly, Katie has gone for another session of the water treadmill. Here is a video clip of the action. This is probably her least favorite activity, but it is very good for making her exaggerate her movement and really use her joints. I feed her throughout the entire session.


On a happy note, the physical therapist thought she looked great and was better than the last time she had seen her. Sounds good to me.

11 comments:

BrittBeah said...

Someone has been very busy. Maybe I need to get on Katie's 'theropy' program to get rid of some holiday wieght :)

Addie said...

I know what you mean about the acupuncture; it's hard to understand why it works, but I can't deny that it gives dogs significant relief. The swimming looks fun!

Addie

Snobound said...

We know of an Iditarod musher who uses swimming for his dogs during the summer to help them keep and build muscle tone. He finds it very effective. We have a 12 year old collie who at times has tons of joint pain - I bet this would be good for her as well.

Anna said...

Way to go Katie! You are looking great, by the way. Maybe I can learn a lesson or two from you. (swimming and treadmill)

I know you don't like the treadmill in the water, but it is for your own good. I'm sure your mom will keep giving you treats! You are one special and very lucky girl.

Fire, your cousin, wanted me to tell you that she enjoyed walking with you at Thanksgiving. Yep, she saw you on the treadmill and she too wants to encourage you to keep going.

Zan said...

Acupuncture is one of those mysterious therapies that seems like it shouldn't work but absolutely does help. But then, I guess we don't really understand why aspirin works either.

Katie, you're awesome!!

gyeong said...

It's not so bad, Katie. At least you get lots of treats for your hard effort.

Nigel, Sola and Co. said...

Hang in there Katie! Water aside, that does not look like much dog fun!

IHateToast said...

my mom witnessed an open-heart surgery done on acupuncture (in china). i think you have to hope for a master, you know? i have had my own mixed reviews of it. i always give it a try since my insurance here covers some. still, i'll take good old gen anaesth for open heart, should i need it.

where do you get the floatie thing?

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

Toast - If I ever need open heart surgery, I will definitely NOT go the acupuncture route. I'm already a needle freak.... add cutting me open to that and I'm sure to completely freak out! I must be knocked out for something like that.

Jen

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

Oh, and the floatie thing. I have no idea. I am going to try and get the brand name the next time I go because I cannot find it online anywhere. I would like to buy one for my dogs. I think it would have been great for Travis and would have kept him from drinking so much water when he would fetch his bumper.

Jen

greytblackdog said...

I love the snow and the water pics at the same time. LOL.