Monday, November 11, 2013

Mad Weave Poles

I filmed a few of Maddie's weave pole sessions last week.  We work on the 2X2's almost every day for a few minutes and then the Weave-O-Matics (V-shape) when we go to my agility field a few times a week. She made good progress on both strategies this week. She was food motivated... in fact, even more than toy motivated in some instances. So I was able to use food in our sessions. I like doing a couple of reps with food and then ending with a toy that she can run around with. It is just not convenient to have her run around with a toy between every repetition. While she does love to tug, she is still a greyhound that loves to run with her toys so I also try to reward with that when it is appropriate.
With the 2X2s, Maddie can do 4 poles. You teach the dog to enter between 2 poles with the first pole passed by the left shoulder. And then they do the next 2 poles the same way and so on. Maddie's two sets of two poles are in a straight line so she does have to weave through them, but I still have them spaced further than 24 inches. I am moving them a tiny bit closer each day.
It is funny because the DVD for the 2X2 method says "12 Weave Poles in 12 Days". Ha! In my dreams! I looked back to see how long it took Reagan, Riley, and Seven to learn to weave since I have blogged about them since the beginning and they were all 8-12 months. But once they learned they were very good at it.

Maddie is now 16 months old and weighs 61 pounds. Still very much a goofy puppy, but shows some occasional signs of getting serious.

9 comments:

gyeong said...

Maddie's looking great at the poles. Bet you're happy to be able to use food sometimes. What a big girl she's growing into.

Anonymous said...

She's looking great! I did 2 x 2 with my poodle, and a version of weaveomatic (I leaned the poles out in the vee shape, but no wire guides) and he learned fast! I have one question: why don't you say "weave!" in a happy voice each time she approaches the poles? This helped me a lot because I could not always keep up with my speed demon so I could be 10 yards away and point and give the verbal and he would head right to the poles. This gave me time to run toward the end of the poles once he had entered them.)

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

Anonymous, I only add verbal cues when they are able to do what I want them to do. I don't want to tell her to weave and then have her make a mistake early in training. I do that with all things. Like "down" I never tell them to "down" until they are proficient at the hand signal for down. But I will add "weave" in the future!

Taryn said...

I think Maddie looks like she's doing great! 16 months is still pretty much a baby!

I used the 2x2 method for my corgi and I would say he had 12 poles down in about 2 weeks. Now, he wasn't getting super hard entries, but he would haul through the poles with me running on either side. I wasn't too good about following through on the "round the clock" entries training but he learned tough entries well enough in his weekly class. In trials, I never worry about the poles, for me it's always just that one bar going down...aka "the corgi curse" :-)

Claire Krigbaum said...

Yay! So fun to see her learn the poles! Yeah, 12 days? that would be crazy!

Hazel said...

Maddie looks like she's having fun!

houndstooth said...

I love how enthusiastic she is about it! She certainly loves to have fun with it! :)

Greyhounds CAN Sit said...

Maddie looks like she's coming along very well. I'm curious as to why you're training the weaves using 2 different methods? Are they complimentary? I've never trained weaves obviously :)

Heather (jerZgirl) said...

Looking good! I am just teaching my baby dog weave poles though we dont practice much (bad on my part).