Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Brat

As you know, Reagan is my extremely talented, very fast, fully trained agility greyhound that I retired just after her 3rd birthday. Remember how freakin awesome she was...
... always makes me want to poke my eyes out.  It was very disappointing to retire Reagan, but she  developed noise phobias to common, unavoidable things and worst of all became terrified of riding in a vehicle (especially my van).  This made daily training and traveling to trials nearly impossible. I tried everything (and you can read all about it by clicking on Reagan Fears if you wish to), but it continued to spiral out of control.  The bright side is that Seven has worked out well as Reagan's agility replacement.... I would not have adopted Seven if Reagan had not retired.

Well, we are having some crazy winter weather this year.  Temperatures have been very warm and we have had several thunderstorms.  Due to Reagan's propensity towards developing noise phobias, we have always counter conditioned thunderstorms.  Thunder = Treats.  This has worked well and we employ this strategy with all of our younger greyhounds since it is common enough in greyhounds and usually takes a few years to develop.  The downside is that it is labor intensive.  An evening of thunderstorms can have you tossing treats periodically for hours. 

So as an alternative, the first clap of thunder equals everyone going to their crates for frozen, stuffed Kongs and bully sticks for the duration of the storm.  Well, Miss Reagan, although patient, still thinks she deserves a treat.
Spoiled brat!

13 comments:

What Remains Now said...

You probably should have titled this post, "Smart Cookie."

jet said...

hah Barbie does that same lil yip if she wants something.... we had a huge storm last night from 3am to 5am... Bender leapt on top of me and stayed in bed.... Barbie sooked because she wanted to be let out of her crate and on her bed too.... :P

Tammy@Simple Southern Happiness said...

Bless her heart, spoiled in a good way.
I will have to look into what a bully sitck is and will read up on the fears when we return from her Vet appt. I am getting her checked out, it will be her first visit. The dr's knows about greys.

gyeong said...

Reagan looked awesome in those videos. We conditioned with treats too, so when a storm rolls around, Jaime runs to the treat jar to remind us.

Lynne said...

What fabulous talented hounds you have. The photos are great too. Love the ones of Riley weaving.

houndstooth said...

I still wish there were a way for her to compete. She's so very good at it! Obviously, she excels at being a diva, too! I love seeing her on the blog!

Kathy said...

She's such cute brat though! And yes very talented. So sorry, Jen.

greytblackdog said...

We did thunder cookies with Roxy until she started drooling and vomiting after eating them. Reagan is just there to keep you on your toes and provide you with different challenges. I agree with houndstooth - she's a diva!

Greyhounds CAN Sit said...

So lovely to see Reagan pop up again:) She's like a gazelle on springs, isn't she! Some things just aren't meant to be, lucky for Seven. At least Reagan is OK during thunder, she's a character:)

Bayoo said...

I always read your blog, but usually don't comment. Today I couldn't stop myself to not do it when I saw the title of your post. What is that - I thinked - nice polish accent ?* And it makes my smile. I admire you for that what you are doing with your greyhounds. It prove that sighthounds - when they have a good trainer - can do that same that other breed can do.
I admire you and your dogs.

___
*brat = in polish it means "brother" :))

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

Very funny, Bayoo!

Cape Cod Crew said...

Ive never seen a greyhound do agility! Your blog amazes us!

XXOO, The Cape Cod Crew

Nibs said...

That was a VERY madam-ish little yip! She looks so cosy in her crate :)