Saturday, December 10, 2011

Normal

My crate!

Ahhhh... Things finally feel normal again.  It has not been normal since Riley's hock fracture on July 26th.  Riley has been rehabing for nearly nine weeks now and I dare say she is back to normal. I have raised the agility jumps back up to full height.  She is weaving through poles and climbing the contact obstacles.  And she does it all full tilt like she used to.  I have lifted all restrictions, but am more thorough in my warm ups and cool downs now (both dogs).  I also check Riley for soreness and fatique, but happily do not find any.
Since we already had a routine established, we used Riley's crate for the foster boys and continued to use the ex pen in the kitchen for Riley.  Now that the foster boys are adopted, Riley is back in her own crate and the ex pen in the kitchen has been put away.  Despite not being in her crate since the end of July, she never forgot that it belong to her.  And our kitchen feels new and remodeled with all of the extra space. 

So we are very happy to be back down to our own six dogs, to have our house and routines back to normal, and to have Riley sound again.  I am hoping for a very normal 2012!

20 comments:

jet said...

Yay for normal and routine!! Greyhounds have the best memories of all dogs I reckon. Barbie remembers where every dog and cat on our regular walk lives... ;) so I'm sure if she spent a long time away from her crate she would still know it was hers!

Two Greyhound Town said...

Glad things are normal again for you.

We are still waiting for normal here. Our vet doesn't want Joey to be off leash for two more months. I think it's a little extreme, but I think he feels 6 months after surgery is a good rule. Joey still has some pain, so I don't want to rush things.

Tucker The Crestie said...

Hope you get your nice, normal 2012!

gyeong said...

Back to normal is great. Humans like their routines too.

Mad Red Hare said...

So glad she is healed and back to her old self. Although, I'm not exactly what "normal" would be around here!

What Remains Now said...

So glad Riley is on the "fully recovered" list. I had to laugh about the crate...it does feel like you've done a remodel when they're gone. They're HUGE.

Witty Angel said...

Yay! Hurray for normalcy!

Hiking Hounds said...

Yay, Here's to a very normal 2012!!

Declan said...

Mum says that, with me, she doesn't thnk she'll ever see normal again... Hehe! Deccy x

angelofthemind said...

So glad things are getting back to normal! Excitement always sounds so fun until it happens. Here's to a happy, normal 2012!

Apex Agility Greyhounds said...

We are dog sitting a little Eskimo dog for 3 weeks. Summit remains babygated into our bedroom when we are gone, but for her we set up Summit's new crate (he's never used it, we bought it just to have on hand because his old one is up at the BF's parents' house) and in spite of it being one size smaller than his old crate... I had forgotten how much extra space we got back when he graduated from crate to baby gate. Enjoy your "renovated" kitchen!

Sue aka Greyhound Lover said...

Normal is good!!!
What a gorgeous family of hounds you have.

just wanted to say thank you so much for your kind words about Jim xxx

Leah @ Exceptional Dogs said...

I'm glad she's feeling better! May your 2012 be injury-free :)

Amy / Layla the Malamute said...

Congratulations on your return to normalcy :)

I always figure that people who hope for more excitement have no idea what they're asking for lol.

If you ever take requests for future posts, I'd love to hear about your personal warm up / cool down routines for your dogs. I know all dogs are different but I'm always interested in new ideas.

houndstooth said...

I hope you have a very normal and happy 2012, too! It's funny how much we crave our old routines when they're disrupted, even though we complain about life getting boring in the meantime. Those routines sure do make life a lot easier!

Kathy said...

Here's to normal!

jcp said...

Congrats! We are looking forward to hearing of Riley and Sevens adventures in 2012!

Nibs said...

Hello! I've given you the liebster blog award! xx

Kat said...

Jennifer:
I awarded you a Liebster award in my December 12th post: http://doggoneright.blogspot.com/2011/12/you-take-few-days-off.html I very much enjoy your blog!

andrea said...

so glad normal is normal :)

phew ...