Thursday, September 15, 2011

Off With The Splint

The racing greyhound orthopedic specialist in Florida looked at Riley's x-rays from Monday and feels there is a "clinical union" and that when magnified you can see healing has occured.  Also, that the bone chip has been there the entire time.  It has never moved and it probably is not going to move.  Since the location is not one of high stress or pressure, he suggested we put her into a soft bandage for four weeks to allow for more healing.

Since greyhounds are so prone to pressure sores and even more so in a soft bandage (more freedom to move = more rubbing), Dr. G was considering that we maybe leave her unbandaged since I have done a good job at restricting her activity.  I offered that I was comfortable with bandaging her myself and could proceed with the soft bandage suggestion, but change it every couple of days so we can check on sores.  He liked that idea so we decided that we would try to keep her in a soft bandage for two weeks and then unbandaged for an additional two weeks.  During this time, her activity needs to be strictly restricted.  We will then x-ray her and go from there.

So I am feeling more optimistic and less like a crazy person now.  I am hopeful I will be taking pictures likes this one again in the future.
I have decided to pull out of the AKC Agility Invitational in December though.  If everything goes perfectly from here, I suppose she still could be ready, but it would be our first trial back.  More pressure to do well than I need.  At this point, I just want to have fun again.

14 comments:

Muttsandaklutz said...

Well, this is certainly better news!

Totally hear you about just wanting to be able to have fun again. Sounds like a wise decision to me.

Mad Red Hare said...

YAY! I know you are glad that darn thing is off. Although, Riley is probaby even happier! I think it's a good idea that you pulled out of the agility invitational. Like you said, more pressure, who needs it, well for now anyway!

jet said...

Good luck!! Riley will be very good at 'pig nose' and other crate tricks by the end of all this!

browndogcbr said...

Hi Y'all,

Extra time with no or very little pressure is a good idea. Keeping paws crossed that Riley continues to do well.

Y'all come by now,
Hawk aka BrownDog

houndstooth said...

I am so glad that you got better news this time! Pulling out of the trial is probably the best course of action, but I bet it was still tough to do.

Tucker The Crestie said...

Glad that things are looking up. I'm sorry you had to withdraw from the trial, though.

Greyhounds CAN Sit said...

It's a shame to withdraw from the trial but a wise decision. Hopefully next year.

Here's to you and Riley having lots of fun soon! Isn't it funny how the vets seem to have differing opinions. I hope this is Riley's final recovery period and it goes very quickly for you both.

Winnie said...

Sounds like things are looking up. I am so pleased and so is the LOTH.

Sad news about the December AKC event - but I am sure it's the best decision for you.

Hope the stress stays away.

Love and licks, Winnie

Two Greyhound Town said...

Glad to hear the better news. I hope she heals quickly and life can return to normal. Sorry that you had to pull out of the trial, but it definitely seems to be for the best.

Witty Angel said...

You are right to focus on having fun rather than being perfect. It can be hard to remember, but if it's not fun, it's not worth doing.

gyeong said...

I'm sure Riley will appreciate the extra time to get back into full competition mode.

Michelle said...

4 weeks is going to fly by!! :)

Hiking Hounds said...

I'm glad the Dr. thinks that healing has occurred and that she can go without the splint. I know what you mean about wanting to have fun again. I bet it will happen soon.

jerZgirl said...

Good Luck!