Saturday, February 26, 2011

Teeter Training in Three Minutes

Here is one way to train the teeter in just over three minutes... okay, it took much longer than that.  Seven is about up to full height now.  I use an adjustible teeter that I can start low and gradually increase in size.
The teeter can be a real problem for some dogs.  It moves, makes a loud noise, and sometimes dogs mistaken it for the dogwalk and then are surprised when the floor drops out from under them.  Seven appears to have no issues with the teeter. 

As time goes on, Seven seems really solid in handling her environment, new things, and loud noises.  She is old enough that I think if she were going to start developing phobias like Reagan did that I would start seeing hints of something by now.  If anything, Seven is becoming more bombproof each day.  That is a good thing!

10 comments:

BRUTUS said...

Thought of you recently when we saw a hound at one of our trials. It started out good, but then got the zoomies, raced around the ring for a few minutes before anyone could catch her! She certainly was having a blast though! Keep up the good work there - we love to see other "off" breeds doing agility!

Hiking Hounds said...

She's doing a great job! I like how you use "done" to tell them they can go. I've been using "okay" and haven't had any problems with using it at the wrong time, etc. But I like "done", no messing up with that. I might have to give it a try.

Catalina said...

Seven is so smart! I like how you use 'done' too.

Crystal said...

I really like your training videos. I'm not an agility person (wrong dog, not lack of desire), but your videos and descriptions make it so that I can understand what's going on.

Am I right that in the early part of the video, you're clicking both when Seven tips the teeter AND for correct contacts? I notice that you physically put her back on at the end, which I wouldn't have thought to do, but it seems to work.

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

No zoomies, Brutus! I have been very lucky (knock on wood) to have never had that be an issue.

Not sure how I came to using "done", but always have.

Crystal, in the beginning I'm clicking for being on the board, especially for slamming the teeter, and then staying until released. I break the rule about the click ending the behavior... for stay-like behaviors, my clicks do NOT end the behavior.

Muttsandaklutz said...

Love all these videos of Seven learning agility. I'm so amazed at how quickly she's progressing with everything.

houndstooth said...

I'm so glad to hear that Seven is taking to everything so well! She seems like such a clever little hound!

Sam said...

The teeter is definitely one of our weakest obstacles. Next time there's a teeter workshop in our area, I think I'm going to go to it.

I notice your dogs do not do a 2o2o on the teeter, but instead stay stopped with all 4 paws on. Is this for safety, or? I'm interested, because Marge really has no teeter stopping criteria and I think she should.

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

Sam, my criteria is slam it down and wait to be released. With a greyhound sized dog, they just can't slam it down without being in the yellow. A-frame and dog walk, I do 2 on and off.

Catalina said...

I know this is an old post (and that I already commented on it once), but where did you get your teeter? I really like it.