Thursday, September 23, 2010

Poopy Face

When I adopted Katie ten years ago, she had a raging bad habit of eating dog poop. Even on walks, she would dive for a pile from an unknown canine source. It was disgusting. She is the reason why we continue to muzzle our greyhounds. I was not going to have Katie wear a muzzle and not Travis. Then I got married and suddenly there were six greyhounds in the yard.... muzzling seemed like a good idea with so many. I know it seems so strange to non-greyhound people, but it is so nice not to worry about thin skin needing stitches when they are wrestling or get into a squabble.

Over the years, Katie's desire for poo diminished completely. For years, she was clean and sober.... until NOW! Like a ninety year old deciding to start smoking again... some bad habits die hard.

I do not believe most poop eating has anything to do with poor nutrition so no need to suggest miracle supplements. Katie is always HUNGRY. At the racetrack she was probably bored and hungry in the turnout one day. Gave poop a try and liked it. Once they start, it is a hard habit to break.

15 comments:

jcp said...

Oh Katie. I know we always say that when people get older they can do and say what ever they want.... but there are limits dear girl. No worries though. You make that muzzle look good.

jet said...

hilarious! but gross! very glad that neither of mine are poop fiends, but they are both fond of the snack rolls the kitties leave in the litter box.

Mad Red Hare said...

Oh don't you just love a poop eater? I have 2 poop eaters here too. They like it hot, cold, 3 days old. However they can get it. But their favorite is the cat box crunchies!

Jessica, Rainy, Sunshine, Murdoc, & Frizzle said...

EWEWEW! So glad my girls aren't into that! LOL

Sue said...

Gross!!!:)

DevonAnn said...

My 7 year old baby also just reinstated her poop eating habit! It had been a couple of years at least!

Sandy ~~~ said...

Ahhh...add horse poop and cat poop and deer poop and that makes for a super-poopy face. UGH, Creel, that's gross! And the poop guard in the muzzle goes on!

houndstooth said...

*shudder* Oh, I definitely know what you're talking about! I wish I didn't, but I do!

Greyhounds CAN Sit said...

Thankfully I've never had a poop eating dog, unless it's horse poop, but I can live with them eating that! Hopefully Katie will grow out of this again:-)

Catherine Ford said...

How about adding something like Prozyme to food? In theory, the enzymes should help digestion and in turn make the poop way less interesting/palatable. Course, that's one more expense, supplement... etc. Muzzle may be the way to go. My Sheltie was awful about it.

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

Glad I'm not alone... he he :-). Yeah, I've heard some suggestions about making it taste bad. Its too much of a hassle with 6 greyhounds. A lot less expensive to use muzzles.

A Heart Above; Pet Sitting In Your Home said...

I have renamed this habit from "Poop Eating" to "Recycled Dog Food". People aren't always sure what I am talking about...But maybe that is best.

Katie said...

Mine aren't interested in dog poop, but cat poop is a freaking delicacy.

My old and dearly departed dog, Harvey, was so starving from the seizure meds he was on that he'd follow the other dogs around the yard with his nose up their butts and his mouth open, waiting for something tasty. It was THE MOST disgusting habit EVER.

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

Katie, I think your dog, Harvey, wins for must digusting in the Recycled Dog Food category! Ha!

Michelle said...

We have a poop eater too. Thank goodness for the muzzle cap.