Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Old Dog Obedience

I teach a greyhound obedience training class in Georgia and just finished teaching the summer session. In the last class, I like to demonstrate how to brush dog teeth. I decided to drive my car and bring Katie so I could show everyone what greyhound teeth at age 12 look like if you take care of them.

Katie was so happy to be at the training building. She bolted to the door. She really seems to enjoy doing some of her old obedience "tricks". I always think it is fun to ask her to do things she hasn't practiced in months. It is always great to work with Katie.

First we did two go outs where I send her to the other end of the ring. Next, a dumbbell retrieve and then some heeling ending with signals. I cue her to down, sit, and recall with hand signals. Lastly, a couple of toy fetches.

Katie says she is not tired and is ready for more. Her rear end might argue, but so far she overrules anything it might be saying.

12 comments:

jet said...

katie is so cute... :) still enthusiastic!

Corbin said...

Awesome obedience! My mom hopes that some day I'm that responsive... we keep trying, but I usually get too excited.
-Corbin

Sue said...

Way to go Katie.

Aragon greyhounds said...

I've always loved watching Katie perform in obedience,she is amazing. For her age she is still so enthusiatic to work. Many dogs slow down and are less willing to work as they age. She looked so happy to have your attention/practice/special time/treats again.

Sandy ~~~ said...

Great job...both of you. Funny we call it "obedience" huh? It should have some kind of happier, goofier name!

Zan said...

Wow! She looks great :)

Katie said...

This video made me smile so hard! She is such a fantastic old girl. So much joy!

houndstooth said...

I love how gosh darned happy she looks going through her paces! Too bad we savages force our dogs to perform like trained monkeys! *snort* It is so great for her that she's still able to do all those things, too.

IHeartDogs said...

I <3 Katie. She is adorable running back and forth. She looks so happy, makes me smiling watching her in action.

Kathy said...

Such a happy dog. She looked like she was having a blast. I love watching you two work together.

Sientay L said...

I bet Katie was on cloud nine. She's so cute. Dino and Katie must think alike. Dino says he's not tired either, but his panting and back end giving out says otherwise. He pants a lot earlier than he used to and his back legs (both not just the left anymore)give out once in a while on our jogs. He gets mad now if he doesn't get to walk Ben to and from the bus stop which is a 2 minute walk.

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

Thanks everyone. I really get a kick out of Katie's gusto at age 12. Such a fun girl.