Saturday, July 11, 2009

Limo, You're Not Alone

Limo, my sister's GermEagleChowPyRusky (confirmed in a DNA test), has a fear of pumpkins and watermelons that is well documented on her blog and Youtube. Here is a clip of Limo's pumpkin surprise.

Limo, I am not sure if Riley shares your dislike of pumpkins, but you are not alone in your fear of watermelons. I was quite surprised when Riley balked at passing the watermelon in the kitchen. I normally think of her as brave and curious, so shying away from a watermelon was very unexpected and humorous.

FYI, I rarely clicker train 2 dogs together. It simply can't be done successfully except in very few cases. Riley was getting a click and treat for moving forward. Reagan was lying down during the clicks so she was being rewarded for her downs. No harm done.

7 comments:

BrittBeah said...

That is bizzar. Are beach balls included? Giant squash?

gyeong said...

I'm gonna have to get a watermelon and pumpkin to experiment with my kids.

Life at Star's Rest said...

That's a totally new one for me! I've yet to have a dog with an issue with vegetables of any kind.

I was wondering if you might be willing to give me some training tips. We've always just taught our greys the basics of our household ways but for some odd reason, I have a desire to teach my new gh more. Haven't a clue how to start with sit! griton.corazon@gmail.com Thanks so much if you have the time - Carmon

Denise- LessIsMore17 said...

LOL:-) Limi is over her fear of WMs, but she did spook at some flowers in a vase the other day and an empty shampoo bottle this morning... she keeps life interesting.

Scott said...

Such a beautiful dog!

Mine are scared of cardboard boxes and balloons, so I've been doing the same training with them.

IHateToast said...

i'll never know if mine have these fears. i hate watermelon and we don't get pumpkins like that over here.

i need to find a big fruit. a mutated passionfruit?

i'm with riley. stay away!

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

Riley was also scared of an active turtle recently. No problem finding and carrying around a dead one, but the one running away was pretty scary.

This is definitely something to work on. I can just see it now. We are at the big show and the ring is decorated with pumpkins or watermelons.

Star, I suppose I should post how I teach greyhounds to sit and down. I'll do that soon.