Monday, July 13, 2009

S.L.O.P.

The latest S.L.O.P. contains lots of turnip greens (on sale this week), strawberries (also on sale), a handful of blueberries that tasted bad, so I saved for the dogs, garlic, celery, carrots, red cabbage, and avocados. I'm not sure if I have ever used red cabbage before and its been awhile since we have used avocados.

*Avocados contain a toxin called persin that is poisonous to dogs. I'm really not concerned about 2 small avocados divided amongst 5 dogs over a period of 6 weeks. I probably would not put an avocado in a Chihuahua's veggie mix for the week. Please use common sense.

4 comments:

Jemma the Chihuahua said...

You just reminded me - I have to make my batch this week, too. It's always fun shopping & putting everything together, but the clean-up is dreadful.

Mielikki's Hunt said...

i thought avocados were bad for dogs?

puppies love carrots, it helps fill 'em up, since growing babies are always hungry, also helps to freeze 'em for teething :) But my dogs love their veggies LOL

gossip says yummy

Anonymous said...

Looks yummy, but I thought avocacdos were on all the lists as toxic for dogs ... both fruit and pits. Have you found different info? We're always looking for healthy treats and additions to our dog's menu.

Thanks for sharing so much great info. and letting us follow your dogs and your training on your blog. It's very helpful!

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

Oh alright... you guys appear to be right. Avocados have a toxin called persin in it. I don't worry too much about it since we are talking about 2 small avocados divided between 5 dogs over 6 weeks. Its not going to be poisonous in those quantities. I will update the post with a note though. Its definitely important for someone mixing for only one dog over a short period of time or a small dog.

Thanks, Jen