Thursday, February 12, 2009

Tadpoles


The last three times Katie has gone to swimming rehab, I have also had Riley and Reagan swim. Katie swims for 30 minutes and the youngsters each swim for 15 minutes.


I would love to have another greyhound that loves swimming as much as Travis did. It would be so cool to have another one that would retrieve and dock jump, but I will settle for just swimming. Travis was probably far too special to have a repeat.


Katie has gotten very comfortable with swimming as you can see below. At times, it appears that Katie avoids getting within Eva's reach. She will turn and swim away from Eva who forces her to rest periodically. I would love for Riley and Reagan to be as comfortable.

Last summer, we tried to teach Reagan to swim with no success. She did not enjoy it at all. She has not enjoyed the swimming sessions either and at times appears to be clinging to Eva for dear life.


I figured that forcing Reagan to swim would either teach her that swimming is fun or scar her for life. Sessions 1 and 2, I would have told you we were scarring her for life.



Session 3 had a major break through. She started out as expected. Clinging to Eva or trying to get out of the pool when released. However, she started to swim along the side of the pool for treats. Even turning herself around like Katie does to follow me. I could not have been more pleased. It was a huge turning point.




Riley started out shell shocked as well. During Session 1, she would only accept salmon burger bites and refused all other treats. During the second Session, Riley had a little break through and started to swim for treats rather than trying to climb out of the pool. She did even better the third time.


I am really hoping that this summer, Riley and Reagan will swim along the dock like Katie does. Its such great exercise especially when it is hot.

13 comments:

Stephen said...

They look great, hon! Hope they continue to improve. Well, I hope Reagan does, but not Riley. I've got her spot on the B team all set up for her!

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

Snookums, you can't have my greyhound-of-a-different-color. I've had 3 fawns/reds in a row... can't give up a cute, little, brindle that easily.

Jen

Denise- LessIsMore17 said...

Wow, 30 whole minutes of swimming, that's a lot! So good for her though...maybe I should fill the bathtub up in our master bathroom and just make Limo tread water for awhile when she's annoying me:-)

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

Denise, it is a long time and she swims nearly the whole time. We have to force her to take breaks otherwise her little rear end starts to sink when she gets tired.

With short legs, Limo could probably tread water in a bathtub :-).

Jen

gyeong said...

That looks like fun. Wonder if my guys would like swimming. Maybe I will show them the video to convince that greys can swim.

Zan said...

Wow - 30 minutes. Katie is truly amazing!!

First Stephen abducts Riley in the night and now he's trying to rehome - I mean reteam - her ;-)!

BrittBeah said...

Katie cracke me up with her little blue ring around her head. Kinda like jaws, a really cute jaws that only attacks treats.
I so wish we had an indoor pool that did rehab. My little three-legger would do well with the exercise.
I bet Riley is ferocious enough she is going to be a little fish when she gets done with her 'swim kids' lessons.

greytblackdog said...

I'm determined to teach the girls to swim this summer. Do you have suggestions on how to start? Also, is there a reason Riley doesn't wear a ring like the others do? Is she that much tougher? :) If so, I don't think she's ready for the b team after all. :)

Mielikki's Hunt said...

I put my Gossip in swimming last year when she was recovering froma toe injury then subsequent amputation. . she HATED it. This 28+ inch tall Borzoi would shrink to the size of a whippet, and start trembling as soon as she saw the pool, we'd have to drag her in . .we did our 16 sessions and then I gave up LOL A water dog she is NOT!!!

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

GBD, I prefer they all wear the inflatable collar. It keeps the ears happily above the surface. I am not sure why Eva thought it was better to swim Riley without. Reagan seemed to need something smaller. Katie has been very comfortable in the big donut since day one, so we have not messed with it.

I would suggest a life jacket or inflatable collar. Just something to keep them from sinking especially if they relax. I would hate for them to relax, start to sink, and then panic.... much better if they can float.

Jen

dogstaracademy said...

Kaylee LOATHED the water when I got her, but has really come around. She's got significantly more insulation than your hounds do, though!

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

Mielikki, I was afraid I'd do that to Reagan.... only she'd be an Italian GH. But she's coming around.

Dogstar, the pool is heated and very warm. The greyhounds would certainly freeze if it was not.

Jen

Scott said...

Ahh, this is great!

I am hoping our two will swim at my parent's lake house this summer. We spend most weekends there, so it would be nice for them to enjoy it too. We'll see how that goes!