Sunday, February 22, 2009

Ray's Greyhound

Most of you are aware that I was greyhound shopping for Ray. Click here to find out why. Well, I am happy to report that Ray adopted a greyhound I fostered for 3 weeks. I wanted to tell all of you sooner about the progress we were making, but RL's Black Magic (nka Jet) was not very attractive. I did not want all of my readers to feel sorry for Jet if Ray chose not to adopt him.


For some unknown reason, Jet has lots of missing hair. Bald patches of skin can be found on his face, ears, neck, sides, front legs, flanks, and, of course, the thighs. He is not low thyroid and the skin otherwise appears healthy. To add insult to injury, Jet had to have his tail docked after an unsuccessful "happy tail" surgery.

I tried to scare Ray away with pictures and videos of Jet. I did not want to ask Ray to drive 9 hours to see this greyhound, but his other qualities were hard to ignore. Ray was drawn in with my reports about Jet's training progress, personality, drive, and motivation.


Jet is a 2 year old male with an eager, curious, and adventurous spirit. He is energetic, food motivated, and fearless. There is also something thoughtful and intelligent about him. During my evaluation, I took Jet on long hikes, jogging, PetsMart, the farm, an overnight visit with my sister, and even a dog show (I made him wear a coat to that :-). He handled everything as I had hoped.


I introduced Jet to clicker training and he was an excellent student. He quickly learned to touch a target with his nose, sit, down, and make eye contact.

So on Valentine's day weekend, Ray came to Atlanta to meet and adopt Jet. Most adopters would have passed over Jet and Ray's local adoption group passed on him. I think its fitting that the two rejects were a match.

More about the visit and updates to come...........

12 comments:

BrittBeah said...

You took that pup in public? and you didn't get shot for animal cruelty? He really does look awful, just goes to show looks aren't everything.
Glad Ray got a black one, cause he will never look back because the black ones are perfect :) Dan agrees.
Congrats Ray and Jet on finding eat other.

Snobound said...

What a sweet and heart-warming story. If we could all learn NOT to judge a book by its cover we'd be a much more fulfilled society. Thanks for your work with rescue/adoption as well as sharing this success story with us.

Debbie (Emma's mom) said...

What an exciting, heartwarming story! Congratulations on a job well done...finding a special dog for Ray, and a special person for 'Black Magic'. Jen, now we know part of the reason you've been so busy lately. ;-) I can hardly wait for the updates...to see how he progresses in his training and what his coat looks like in a few months.

Barb said...

Too cool! Congratulations to all concerned!

I'm so glad that you - and the rescue group you work with - didn't try to play the pity card with Jet. In my experience that often backfires anyway since people who adopt a dog because they feel sorry for it usually aren't willing or able to do any useful training or discipline and once the dog feels well it becomes a terror. Maybe that isn't a problem with Greys since so many of them are pretty laid-back, but I've sure seen it with young Danes.

And don't get me started on rescue groups that won't let adopters pick out a dog (of course the foster parent should have some input since they know the dog best, but it should still be a mutual attraction thing) or won't adopt to someone who wants a dog for performance. I'm so glad Ray didn't give up, and found you.

Oh, and I'm sure you've gotten tons of advice on his skin, and tried lots of things but I've had great success with raw egg yolks and fish oil. The biotin in the yolks helps the EFAs in the fish oil work better. Just a thought...

Zan said...

Great story!! I hope we we get to hear "the rest of the story" as Ray and Jet progress.

KF-in-Georgia said...

Hooray! I've wondered how Black Magic would do in the search for a home. I'm glad he's gotten such a good one, where he'll be appreciated for his good attributes.

gyeong said...

Glad Black Magic found a great home. 'Black Magik Lass', my black greyhound, aka Jaime, was supposed to be an overnight foster after being returned from two previous homes. Funny how things always work out in the end. Go Black greyhounds.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jennifer. My name is also Jennifer:) I was wondering if I could exchange a few e-mails with you re: greyhounds and raw diets. I have a black grey that looks remarkably similar to the dog Ray adopted, complete with hairless patches. My e-mail is jeburwel@mtholyoke.edu

IHateToast said...

i don't know. from looking at that first photo, i think jet is very handsome. the face. his eyes. so he's bald in spots. i think he's a looker.

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

I'm glad you all enjoyed the story. Ray appreciated the well wishes and I've received nothing but good updates. Jet is living an active and enteraining life. Yes, Britt, I took him out in public, but its funny how people are still drawn to him. Ray has had the same experience. People seem to love Jet anyway. But like Toast said, I think there is a handsome dog behind the baldness. Hopefully the hair will come in soon.

Jen

Ridlon Tails said...

Awesome! So glad Jet got a good home and Ray looked past what was on the outside. =)

xracermom said...

Jet is beautiful. Really. I look at a greyhound's eyes. We have had so many greyhounds with missing teeth, limps, huge scars and whatever else. As is always quoted---Eyes are the mirrors to the soul. Jet has beautiful eyes. Ray, you are a special man to realize how little the outer appearance means compared to the inner spirit. I look forward to hearing how Jet does in his new home and with his training.
Jen, kudos to you for giving Jet a chance to strut his stuff.