Friday, February 20, 2009

Ask and You Shall Receive

Maria, this is for you. Here is a fine example produced by Reagan earlier today. I placed a sweet gum ball next to the pile so you would have a size reference.
I think Dr. Susan Wynn (known for her advanced training in herbal medicine) said it best. She believes that one diet does not fit all. For example, if a particular line of dogs is often fed ABC food, the breeder is most likely going to breed dogs that thrived and did well on that particular diet.


Raw diet advocates will often point out that commercial pet food has been around for less than a century.... hardly enough time for dogs to have gone through any evolutionary change in their digestive systems. OK, that makes sense, but Susan's point is that people probably have selectively bred dogs to do well on the type of food they wish to feed. I think that makes sense also. If the breeder feeds kibble, her line of dogs are being selectively bred (probably without thinking about it) to thrive on kibble.


I think this might explain why racing greyhounds seem to do best on a raw food diet, in my opinion. For one, they are fed raw meat prior to being adopted. It would make sense that the racing industry probably breeds greyhounds that thrive and do best with some raw meat in their diets.


With that said, you just have to do what you feel is best. There is no way for us to know the exact nutritional needs of each individual dog......... and I don't think nature really intended on perfectly balanced meals.


I would encourage everyone feeding kibble to add some variety in the form of some fresh, raw food occasionally. You can save a small portion of the vegetables and fruits you purchase for yourself..... carrot or strawberry tops, a chunk of your banana, a bit of broccoli, or a handful of spinach. Check your fridge regularly for the fruits and vegetables getting close to losing their freshness. Throw it into a food processor and puree it as much as possible to maximize the nutritional value. Add the mixture to your dog's regular food. If there is not enough to mess with, start a collection in your freezer. Once you have enough fruits and vegetables stored up, thaw it out, and grind it up. Also a turkey neck once a week is great for the teeth.

12 comments:

Stephen said...

You asked for it, Maria, and you got it! That makes two pictures of poop you've blogged about, honey. Dare I ask what's next?

BrittBeah said...

Jenn, I am almost sold on making my own dog food.
I feed Science Diet because I've worked at a vet's office for so long it has always seemed like the best choice. My guys do fine on the kibble so I am not in a rush to swap over. I don't even cook for myself most of the time, let alone plan out a nutritionally sound diet for my dogs. I obviously don't do a great job of planing meals for myself (I has a little extra 'padding') so I fear not being able to do right by the pups.

My questions to you: Did you consult with a nutritionist before getting started on raw foods?

I'm not keen on the raw meats, do you cook any of the foods before feeding them?

Where do you rec. getting info about nutrition, suppliments, and such?

How do you adjust your sr. dog's diet versis your jr. dog's?

Thanks!

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

Britt,

No nutritionist. No I don't cook for the dogs. Cooked bones are dangerous. Raw bones (especially chicken bones) are fine to feed.

I don't do a lot of suppliments. But my favorite raw diet book is "Raw Dog Food" http://www.dogwise.com/itemdetails.cfm?ID=DN208

You generally do not change anything for seniors unless you are altering for a specific problem. They stay young on raw food ;-).

Raw food does not have to be complicated. Think about what some people feed their children everyday... crap. Most people don't even know that much about human nutrition. If you read one book on raw dog food and feed a wide variety of fresh, healthy, raw foods.... you can't go wrong.

Jen

Maria Peters said...

Wow! I feel honored! LOL. Actually, that is mighty impressive...especially compared to the huge piles I pick up.

It's interesting...I feed June Kirklands...and she makes BIG...I feed Canoe Taste of the Wild, and his have gotten smaller...smaller is better! At least in this subject!

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

Maria, it is so much easier to pick up. Its like little rocks. In fact it makes a "ping" noise if you catch it in the scoop.

I'm not sure if this is the experience of other folks, but whenever I have tried to put a greyhound on a really high quality kibble (like a top 10 on the Whold Dog Journal list), I get massive amounts of pudding. Although the output is large, my fosters have all done best on a medium quality food like Nutro.

Jen

Sam said...

Some blogs are better NOT read first thing in the morning. :-)

Seriously, thoug, Important topic, Jenn. Nutrition is mission critical for all dogs.

greytblackdog said...

Jen, you forget to tell people that the poop is magic and it turns white and you can just step on it and it turns to dust! It's great fertilizer for your yard.

Britt, once you start feeding raw, you will never go back. It is amazing the change in your dogs too!

BrittBeah said...

Jenn thanks for the info.
I am going to order the book today.

I hope to find a nutritionalist soon so I can have a chat about raw diets with a professional on the subject. I know none of the vets I work for are keen on the idea, but they are open minded. I would just like to have hard proof that I can show my dr. that this is ok for my pups.

Coty said...

Very impressive ideed. Might work in some raw food more often though. BIG dog, BIG poop. Big smelly poop. One note of interest (to me) what the comment about the strawberry tops - I left some out on the deck for the birds and Coty was highly interested and kept picking up - tasting- putting down - picking it up again - maybe that taste was kind of interesting after all - let me roll it around in my choppers test.

Katie said...

I think you make an interesting point about breeders selectively breeding toward dogs who thrive on a certain kind of diet. Something I'd never considered.

I've fed raw and I've fed kibble. On the right kibble, I don't notice any significant difference in my dogs between kibble and raw. They look the same, they've got the same energy level, same good coats. They're big chewers so teeth aren't a big concern.

Right now I feed mostly kibble with bits and pieces of this and that thrown in for variety and some RMBs here and there. I'm a big believer in variety no matter whether kibble or raw fed.

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

Britt, you should ask your vets for hard proof that kibble is best :-).

My vet is funny. She has a very holistic slant to her practice. She feeds a homemade diet, but no bones. All of her clients feed bones, but she says it was drilled into her head at vet school not to feed bones... but she has never had a client with a problem eating bones.

Jen

IHateToast said...

you made my day.