Sunday, July 20, 2008

Game Face


Today, I think I know what jaundice looks like. The insides of his ears and the whites of his eyes have a yellow tinge. Yesterday, he threw up breakfast and peed on a dog bed he was lying on. He is very suspicious of the food I offer. I have stopped adding the powdered supplements to any meals. He does not need a reason to turn his nose up at something. He eats like a child who does not want to eat and pushes the food around on the plate. Travis carefully chews chicken backs he used to inhale thoughtlessly. Now he thinks about it. Administering 15 pills a day has become quite an ordeal. Creme cheese was working well, but Travis tasted one of the antibiotics this morning so now its just a dirty trick. A couple of days ago, he started to chew treats and was finding the hidden pills. Nine of the pills are liver support supplements. Maybe I will just stop with the supplements. I know I can shove them down his throat, but I'm not sure its necessary at this point. Its more important that he actually eat. Right now I am feeding Red Barn meaty rolls and Blue Buffalo canned food. Both are extremely high quality, meat based dog food and he seems to like both.





Despite it all, Travis maintains his beautiful game face. He still wants to go on the daily outings. Today, I took him to my agility field and he wanted to play with his bumper some. Friday was a good day. He played some with his bumper and I gave him a bath. Travis even wrestled with a dog bed briefly. I always thought that was so funny and wish a had a video. He grabs the dog bed with his front legs as if it were an imaginary deer and then bites it. Such a silly boy. Yesterday, I told him how awesome he was. That he was the world's greatest agility greyhound. And that I am so proud to be part of the equation. I told him that my favorite agility trial was the 2007 AKC Agility Nationals in Ohio. He was the only greyhound to qualify. He placed 11th out of 129 dogs in the 24" height class proving that not only was he a great agility greyhound, but also a great agility dog. He beat a lot of the best dogs in the country including a lot of border collies that weekend and it felt good. He even won High Score prize of $200 for the hound group. I also told him that his dock jumping was the coolest. It was fun having the only purebred greyhound at the Dock Dog events..............



6 comments:

Sientay L said...

I've just caught up with over a week's worth of your blog. We just got back from a week in NYC, and I had no access to internet. I was thinking of Travis all week, and am glad he is doing as good as he can be.

KF-in-Georgia said...

I'm sorry Travis is having such a rough time. I'd hoped he was mending. Slowing down, maybe, but mending.

Remember how we vibed for Travis to have a UTI, even though a UTI is uncommon in boy dogs?

The vibes bounced.

Sam's been in the ER this morning, after straining to pee and finally managing to squeeze out some bloody urine. Xrays show no obstruction, and the sterile urine sample (which is now sitting in my refrigerator--yuck!) showed lots of significant stuff. He's on Clavamoxx, and he'll go to his own vet tomorrow to see if there's any actual kidney trouble, too.

greytblackdog said...

jen, can't they put in an iv cath and let you do a set of fluids at home? you are vet trained enough to do it. that way he could get some relief but not have to be away from you. i think about you guys every day!

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

Heather, it might sound weird, but I don't really want to prolong it. I feel as though I've been grieving for a few weeks now... dotted with some good days. Travis is not built for sleeping all day. He's suppose to be running, jumping, swimming, hiking, fetching, and playing. Its ok if its time for him to go.

Jen

saramurphy100 said...

I'm So sorry Jennifer, I am re-living all this again with you.
Two weeks was all we had after we knew. Travis is so much younger and the first tests after IV were better, boy I hoped it would be a different story. Give him what he wants, as long as he is comfortable.
Take Care, Hug Travis and kiss his nose for me.

Denise- LessIsMore17 said...

:-( I know what you mean about prolonging it... you know him so well, you know he's not a happy camper stuck in bed with an IV in all day.
I know you said you aren't going to give him the pills anymore, but I when I babysat Pepper and she had to have her pills and she wouldn't eat her first couple of meals at our house, I had to "pill her" and stuff them down her throat, but I found that adding a goop of p-nutbutter helped the pill go down but just setting it on her tougne...
~Jingles~