Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Declaring Independence

A couple of weeks ago, we were training agility and as I finished up with Seven, a baby rabbit flushed from the bushes and ran between Seven and I.
Seven did not get the memo......  If we had followed the flow chart, it should have been left alone.
But she ate it......

Seven caught it quickly. It was not sporting at all. It was just right there suddenly. I didn't try to save it.  I knew it would only be mangled if I did. Thankfully, it passed away quickly, but then too my horror she began to eat it.  She ate the entire thing.  She doesn't even like rabbit.  Case and point.... this is the last time I gave her rabbit.
I tried to call her away from it with canned dog food, but she wasn't about to leave that meal.... and honestly I didn't want to clean it up off the field.  Although I began to worry she may puke something up later since she normally doesn't eat fur, tails, ears, etc. 

Nope! Seven didn't miss a beat.  In fact, I never even saw fur in her stool. Well, I guess I am glad it didn't go to waste.
But now I'm wondering what is next for Seven.  She has made her own money (greyhound star of "Pain and Gain" movie) and now she is feeding herself.  Soon she won't need me at all!

8 comments:

Greyhounds CAN Sit said...

I get quite annoyed with my lot when they catch a rabbit or hare as they don't eat it. It's like hey, I was bred to hunt, I've hunted, it's all yours now! I've been known to bring a hare home and saute some leg meat as they wouldn't even eat it raw when I skinned it. Thankfully the rabbits get away far more often than not. So well done Seven! No wastage there :)

pennydog said...

My past boy Fletcher caught and ate rabbits, nothing I could do about it. The last one he caught he didn't want the guts and after a complicated negotiation with the in-law's whippet, he allowed him to have that part.

Merinda said...

My dogs always get tapeworms after they eat wild rabbits. Just a warning :)

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

Thanks for the warning, Merinda. I asked my vet about worming when it happened he suggested worming for tapes after a month. Eeeek! :-)

Pip said...

Gosh Seven! Here in New Zealand rabbits are an introduced pest, so there's not much hand wringing going on here when a hound takes one out. My girl has caught and killed two, but she doesn't eat them. She breaks their necks, drops them, and walks off. They don't even have a mark on them. She's remarkably efficient.

Pip said...

Gosh Seven! Here in New Zealand rabbits are an introduced pest, so there's not much hand wringing going on here when a hound takes one out. My girl has caught and killed two, but she doesn't eat them. She breaks their necks, drops them, and walks off. They don't even have a mark on them. She's remarkably efficient.

Janette Ash said...

I am all for hunting and eating, but yeah the need to de-worm is a bummer. But come to think about it, you can take the costs out of her bank account...hee,hee.

Her next role could be "Call of the Wild" or "Survivor." LOL

Trina said...

She will always need you!! Mine have caught a few baby bunnies but never eaten them. But then again..they don't make their own money either. haha