Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Week 30 - Random Photos

Well, I am a bad greyhound puppy owner.  I hardly took any pictures this week.  But then she is starting to look a lot like a dog and not so much puppy anymore..... well most of the time.
Maddie turned 7 months old at the end of week 30 and broke 50 pounds.  That puts one of you out of the running for the 1 year weight guess contest.  Sorry, Pennydog!  That also means that quite a few of you are about to be out of the running with your guesses in the low 50's.  Her growth has definitely slowed, but I think we will see low 60's in the future.
Miss Maddie is getting kicked out of daycare at the end of February.  Okay, not really, but they need to move her out of the small dog room.  She is just too big for some of the smaller dogs in there. She does great if there is an ideal playmate for her, but I believe she can be a pest if there is no one to wrestle.  I gave it some thought, but I just do not want her in the big dog room.  The room is bigger, giving her more room to build up speed.  I am afraid she will encourage the other dogs to chase her and I just do not want her getting rolled on hard mats by large, adult dogs. I do not want her to get hurt or for her confidence to be dinged.
Plus the point of daycare was to socialize, to burn energy when she was not ready for serious training, and to help with house training back when she could only hold it 3 or 4 hours when I was at work.  I will miss my days off though.  It was nice to have one or two days a week when I knew Maddie would be very tired and would not be very demanding that afternoon and evening.
I really appreciate all the comments that we still get despite that I rarely leave comments on other blogs anymore.  I am honestly a little overwhelmed with three dogs in full training and a puppy takes up twice as much time as any of my adults.  Maddie still needs lots of supervision so my evenings are all about keeping her out of trouble.... she is sleeping as I type this. :-)



10 comments:

pennydog said...

D'oh! My Penny suffered from muscle wastage and in her later years weighed 44lbs. Fletcher my boy dog I have now (he's a fit 10 year old) is 57lbs so I guessed her somewhere in between, with her being a girl and supposedly a bit shorter but being healthy too ;)

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

I find that all of mine are a few pounds below race weight. Even doing agility and all they do, they cannot maintain the heavy, bulky racing muscles. And then as they get older, they lose more muscle weight like you saw in Penny. I just hope she doesn't get really big. :-)

What Remains Now said...

Maddie is so regal, even with a blue loofah toy in her mouth.

houndstooth said...

She does look like a big girl! I don't blame you for not wanting her in with the big dogs. Since they still have soft bones until they're a year old or so, it could have some serious repercussions for her agility career. She is really growing into a beauty!

jcp said...

Shes getting so BIG! Thanks for sharing Jen.. I do love to stop by and read about what you guys have been up to.

Those Brindle Kids said...

I bet she'll miss being at day care, too, unless she can talk her sisters in to playing with her while you're at work. :)

Claire Krigbaum said...

She's so big!!! What a gorgeous girl. It will be difficult to give up the days she is tired out from daycare but that is understandable. I have been more aware of what I let Indi do than I ever was with Amber as a growing baby dog. So many things to worry about!

jet said...

I would share your reservations about putting her in the big dog room. They will most definately chase her. My local doggie day care has slippery floors so Barbie doesn't run there if she can avoid it but it also means she can't get away from bigger doggies that want to play rough, like Mastiffs!

Hazel said...

You are not a bad greyhound owner, Jen! I think that you are better than average in holding down a job, training 3 dogs, being mom to all the dogs, keeping a home, and travelling to competitions. I'm exhausted just imagining it all.

Maddie is beautiful, and thanks for sharing!

Team Zero Gravity said...

I agree about not putting her in the big dog room. They can get hurt so easily. Hmmm...I think I always said I thought Maddie would be in the 60s...I think my guess was 65 but I can't remember :) My Cori is a big boned girl (people think she's a boy) and she stays around 69-70 lbs which is a little more than her race weight but she is in great shape and very active. Chloe is 55 lbs which is a couple pounds less than her race weight. Blaze floats between 73-75--'course, he doesn't have a race weight ;) But he is in really good shape too.