Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Rowdy Girls

I sometimes get asked why I still use muzzles outside in the yard.  Here are some video clips to show you the reason.  Reagan, Riley, and Seven get along very well and a fight rarely breaks out in the yard, but they do play rough and it includes a lot of growling, posturing, and confident body language.  I would much rather have them wear muzzles than to referee what is going on even though I do supervise 99% of the time.

The interesting thing is to watch for all of the "dominant" body language especially from Seven.  She places her head and paws on the back of Riley frequently.  Tails are high.  Seven and Riley will often freeze before they explode.  But it is all in play.

If you have a hard time reading body language, look for it in these clips.  I would never allow my girls to greet a dog (especially on leash) with a stiff tail held high or vice versus.  Also, you will often see a moment when the dogs freeze before a fight breaks out.  You want to avoid those and interrupt if it does happen.
And this would be why I am waiting for Maddie to be full grown and coordinated before tangling with these girls off leash.

9 comments:

What Remains Now said...

This reminds me of my friend, Amy's, girls. She has 3 female greyhounds and when I doggysit, I always make them wear their muzzles and put them out separately from Freedom, Casper & Nikki. I always say they do roller derby in the backyard. Very similar to what you have here. We do let all six dogs out together (all muzzled) but I usually do that when my husband can go out with them. He's much more comfortable with the hard play than I am. I'm a wimp. I want everyone to play nice and gentle...no fun!

Team Zero Gravity said...

In some of the video sections, Reagan looked like she was the ref. Cracked me up. In other parts she looked like "hey guys, come play with me" :)

I heard the Katie chimes in the second video :)

Those Brindle Kids said...

Love that shot of the brindle girl (not sure who it is) who was STALKING in the beginning shot of the second video. Maggie does that a lot. So much fun to watch -

gyeong said...

They do play rough with each other. We had 18 greys in the backyard the other weekend, no one muzzled, but no one made a peep either. They were all too busy sniffing :)

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

Seven is the stalker in the video. So funny. My favorite too!

jet said...

They are so cute... I dunno though I'm used to bully breeds and this isn't really that rough compared to how they play!! Barbie plays rough with Bender quite often and whilst she has received a couple of little knicks on the legs from his ankle biting they are fine. If Barbie has had enough she has her 'safe' spots to go to and Bender will leave her alone.

Barbie stalks, it is incredibly cute.

Hazel said...

My greys love to play like this as well, and they also play sort of rough. I have friends with bassets, cairn terriers lahsa apsos, and they are all afraid of my dogs play. As if my sweet greys would hurt their dogs!

minstrel said...

Those vids made me fall in love with your girls! :)
Does the straw work well to keep the mud down? I have a small garden in the place I moved into 2 months ago,we've had some snow and a lot of rain,and it is just SO muddy!Do you have to change the straw reguarly?

Anonymous said...

minstrel ~ YES! The straw cuts down on mud tremendously. Our yard is mostly hard-pack clay. We get 7-10 bales each fall. 7 bales will cover the dog yard and the extra 3 we use to recover bare spots that the dogs create throughout the season. We've never changed it out. Most, if not all of it, is decomposed by Spring.


~ Jen's Husband