Thursday, March 1, 2012

A Keeper

I was nervous all day and by the time the appointment rolled around, I was a little sick to my stomach.  I hate microchipping.  I am very fearful of medical procedures.  I can handle shots and having blood drawn, but needles stuck in weird places, giant needles, and anything involving scalpels while I am awake really freak me out.  My fears definitely creep into my decision making when it comes to the dogs.  It is why I tend to not pursue aggressive treatments when they are old.  The pain and stress usually does not buy enough time for me to consider it a good trade.

Since the microchip is injected with a finger-sized needle (okay, I am exaggerating, but it is a GIANT needle), I prefer to have it done when the dogs are knocked out for another procedure.  Like Reagan's was done when she was spayed but, knock on wood, Seven has been healthy and free of problems.  So finally after a year and a half, I have decided that I do indeed want her back if she gets lost and it is time to get it done.

So I was nervous for Seven all day and thought about how truly painful it must be to have a GIANT needle shoved through your skin.  I imagine parents must really have a tough time when their children have to have something painful performed.  At least my "child" had no idea it was coming and she was being served a mouthful of peanut butter by the husband as I turned away to avoid watching.  Seven yelped as expected, but it was not bad enough to forgo peanut butter.... Whew... so glad that is over.  Of course in true drama queen form, Seven would yelp from the soreness as she changed positions in her bed that night.

I also bought Seven her own collar tag.  She had been wearing one with Riley's name spelled incorrectly for over a year.  I figured it was time she had one of her very own (actually, I just finally remembered).  So Seven has proper ID now... she is a keeper.

21 comments:

Andreja said...

I don't know if you have bigger chips in USA than we do, but in Slovenia microchiping is mandatory and all puppies get one. Ruby got it very late, at 7 months, but the new law says pups need to have one when they leave the breeder. He barely noticed it. No yelping and no soreness.

Mad Red Hare said...

I have seen those needles and they are BIG! I haven't had my dogs chipped yet, and at their age, not sure if I will. But if (when) I adopt again, I will definitely get them micro-chipped. Glad she's a keeper!

Grey2K Lies said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Elaine Summerhill said...

I think "finger size" is a very, very accurate description. When it comes to having dogs chipped, I put it off as long as possible. In fact Banner was just chipped last year at a dogshow. I handed him off to the attendant and went for a walk. I get nauseous just thinking about it.

Declan said...

Most rescue hounds over here come ready chipped, though I had to have my first boy done. He was fine and its soworth it if they get lost.

Tammy said...

It doesn't get any more adorable than that face!!! I just want to hug her!

Sandy ~~~ said...

LOL...I felt the same way when my miniature horses were chipped...whew. Not bad. Now I need my new big horse done, although he does have a brand, it's not my brand so I don't know how we handle that.

Glad Seven is a keeper..as a matter of fact, I think I suggested that as a name, waaaaay a long time ago!

gyeong said...

I'm sure she is happy to know she is not 'illegitimate' anymore :)

What Remains Now said...

Hurray, Seven! Our vet offers two options...you can be there or they go in another room. I opted for "another room." I probably would have passed out.

Heather (jerZgirl) said...

Yay Seven! I am more nervous about chipping the dogs than the dogs! LOL I figured she wasn't going anywhere though. ;o)

KF-in-Georgia said...

Oreo, Sam, and Jacey were chipped and didn't let out a peep.

Silver screamed...but she started hollering before the needle touched her. She just didn't like the way the vet grabbed her skin.

All four dogs forgave the vet once the cookies were handed out.

But talk about invasive procedures...Silver goes to LCAH tomorrow so we can discuss getting her spayed.

Hiking Hounds said...

I'm glad she's official now. Luckily I've never been there at the micro chipping. U Oh, I just realized that Astro hasn't had his own collar since he was a puppy. He's been wearing one of the many that Zephyr has. I might have to go collar shopping.

houndstooth said...

Those needles are huge, but so far, none of ours have let out so much as a whimper when they got theirs. Of course, it helps when somebody really knows what they're doing, I think. Our vet's office has the best vet techs! Of course, Bunny howled like she was dying with the summer intern applicant administered her rabies shot with a regular small needle last Friday. Sheesh!

houndstooth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cat said...

Firefly was chipped yesterday. I held her for the vaccines but made the tech hold her for that... it looks so painful! She didn't stop chewing her kibble bits though so maybe I lucked into a stoic one who saves all her screams for the crate.

Congrats on permanent membership to the Bachelor family, Seven :D

As a Mommy note, I can tell you that a baby looking into your eyes, cooing, making happy smiley noises that suddenly contorts into a "why?! why would you let someone stick me?" scream, is bad. MUCH worse when they are 4 sobbing that they promise they'll be good if you'll just say they don't have to have them. No amount if explaining makes that go away. Ignorance is bliss, Seven!

Tina said...

Good it's over, isn't it?
The needle definitely is huge, I think the chip is around the size of rice. Our vet did some local anasthetic on the necks of our dogs. We had them microchipped for agility when they started checking dogs identity and Dingo was definitely too energetic just before or after running to read his tatoo in his black ear.
The rescue girls had already been chipped when we got them. I can feel the chip on all three of them! Gives me goose bumps each time ;.)

Trina said...

The needle is huge..and I think has barbs or something. But a necessary evil. glad she is a keeper!!

Michelle said...

None of mine are micro-chipped. My kids have their county tags, ID collar/tags and are never off leash unless in a fenced yard. We are looking into getting a GPS tag for each of their collars in the future. Glad she is a keeper!!

Sarah Regan Snavely said...

I share your dislike of medical procedures. Two of mine were done as puppies and Winchester is sans chip. I saw that needle and couldn't do it. Great post on SA too. Love your blog.

Jessica Adam said...

She is cute i want to get one like this.
cheap dog beds .

Jemma the Chihuahua said...

I used to work in a vet clinic and those needles ARE huge looking to me! Always felt uneasy looking at them. You can imagine my fear of having little Jemma chipped when she isn't already under anesthesia for another procedure. She's still not chipped, actually.