Monday, January 30, 2012

Found Them

I knew I had photos of Riley jumping to catch her Frisbee.  This is how she fractured her hock.  I wanted to show you guys a long time ago, but could not find them.... they were in Seven's folder.
Riley used to leap into the air to catch the Zanie Flyer frisbee and land hind legs first.  I thought this was a good thing because it seemed easier on her toes... a very common source for greyhound injuries.  Well, not anymore!  The day she fractured her hock, she leaped up like she normally would.  The landing was not at all awkward.  The only difference was that I heard a little click and then she was dead lame.
Needless to say, I do not throw high anymore.

11 comments:

andrea said...

what a creative way to land ...YIIIII
so glad she mended - took a long time

Declan said...

Mum has never seen me jump. Perhaps just as well given how accident prone I am... Deccy x

gyeong said...

Eek! I'm sure Riley wants to forget all about that day.

Sam said...

Bittersweet pictures, I'm sure! Riley's going to miss leaping in the air like that, but if it means keeping her safe and keeping her agility career going, I doubt she'll mind too much!

Gracie May said...

Greyhounds sure do get in alot of accidents!

Greyhounds CAN Sit said...

I can't imagine Beryl jumping up for a frisbee, she doesn't seem to be built for it, too front heavy maybe? After what happened to Riley there's no chance I'll be trying it to see if she can do it!

houndstooth said...

She really got some fantastic air! Have you ever thought about letting her try dock diving like Travis?

jcp said...

Well regardless of the outcome, she sure looks good doing it!

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

Houndstooth, she does not love the water like Travis did. She certainly would have the leaping skills for it.... but not a chance.

Sue aka Greyhound Lover said...

I have had the pleasure of having had/have 9 greyhounds and not one a jumper, can't believe how high Riley jumps, hope she's soon mended, love the photo of you Jennifer and your hounds on the front page, bet that took forever to get. love and hugs from the Taylor pack xxx

LAlivin13 said...

Have you ever thought of training Riley to go around behind you while you toss the toy in front of you? That way the toy has a chance to get low to the ground or land before she gets to it, eliminating her need to jump and catch it.
I do this with my dog, I like to throw high and he is a 9 1/2" Papillon.
I am sure you have been told this before, I just thought I would suggest it.
:))