Friday, October 7, 2011

Foster Dog

Stephen and I are fostering JA's Sahara Sand. He is from Jefferson County Kennel Club track (JCKC). We do not foster often since we have six of our own, but that track closed October 1st for six months and their are many greyhounds at risk. Southeastern Greyhound Adoption gets most of their greyhounds from JCKC so we are trying to do what we can to take a few more.
JCKC is an awful track.  My guess is that it is the lowest track in the US.  Once the dogs are done racing, they have no where else to go unless they are lucky enough to make it into adoption made possible by Pam and Glen Davis, Lynn Masimore, and a few other volunteers.  The good racing greyhound owners do not race dogs at JCKC.

Sahara Sand has settled in fairly well.  We did take him since he is very strong and would really benefit from some training.  I am trying to video some of those sessions so you can see one starting mostly from scratch.

17 comments:

Hiking Hounds said...

He's a handsome guy. It's great that you could foster him.

jet said...

very handsome! I hope I can get into a position where I can foster hounds at some stage in the near future. Our cats will love it! :P

gyeong said...

What a handsome boy. We don't foster as much since we're at five kids now. Our's come from Sanford-Orlando which is also a bottom run track with nowhere further down to go. Hope he finds a forever home soon.

K-Koira said...

Very handsome guy. I guess we are lucky in Oregon that our greyhound track came with the stipulation that a greyhound rescue had to be attached to it, which the hounds would be sent to for placement after racing.

Kini_pella said...

Gorgeous guy...reminds me of your Travis a bit in appearance :). I have no doubt that you'll do greyt with him while he's with you!

Greyhounds CAN Sit said...

Well done on taking in a needy boy when you've pretty much got a house full:)

I'm looking forward to watching your videos!

Nibs said...

He is strapping! I hope he finds a new home soon! Good on you for fostering. xx

Tucker The Crestie said...

He's a beautiful boy! I hope he finds a wonderful home!

MomentOfInsight said...

What a hound! Will you take a picture of him next to Riley or Seven so we can see how big he is?

Granted Wishes Canines said...

Is it bad that his picture and your description make me think of Travis? ;)

Regardless, he's handsome, and lucky to be with you!

<3

BrittBeah said...

Are those Travis ears I see on his head? They are very nice perfect looking ears that make me want to rub them.

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

Yes, he does look like Travis. Must be the MoKick line (Travis' dad and Sahara's great granddad). Next post has him pictured next to Seven. He is taller than Travis, but narrower. Around 70lbs.

Michelle said...

He does look a lot like Travis! Wow! He is so handsome. I hope he finds a wonderful forever home soon. :)

The Lady said...

He's a pretty boy! I'm looking forward to the videos!

jcp said...

Sahara, you couldn't possibly have found a better foster home. Your going to make some family very very happy.

Jennifer H. said...

Very, very handsome guy. He is beyond lucky to end up with you guys as a foster family!!

jerZgirl said...

Wow he is stunning!