Thursday, September 22, 2011

Hide and Seek

Riley loves her Zanie Flyer, but of course, is not allowed to play with one until her hock fracture has healed and she has done a significant amount of rehab.  When Riley was still in the splint, I happened upon a new game with her.  We keep a Zanie Flyer on the outside of one of our basement windows and we use it to play fetch with Reagan on most days.  Riley led me to the gate of that yard and we went inside.  Using her nose, she led me straight to that Zanie Flyer sitting on the window.  So I started to hide the toy in different places around the yard and it was really interesting to see Riley use her nose to find it.
Riley has not been immune to pressure sores.  She has one on each side of her of her foot and then a weird blister looking thing just below her stifle.  Despite changing the bandage everyday (or a couple of times a day) and giving the wounds a chance to air out, they keep getting worse. 
So I am done with bandaging.  Dr. G had told me not to bandage since greyhounds are so difficult with bony limbs and thin skin, but I offered that I could do it myself and frequently.  We were going to try to soft bandage for 2 weeks, but it is just not working.  I give up!  So I am adhering to the prescription of restricted activity more than ever since the hock is completely unsupported.  Unfortunately, Riley is having to wear her muzzle when she is unsupervised because she is a notorious wound licker.  Hopefully, she will be willing to leave them alone in a couple of days.

Riley is slightly gimpy and the leg fatigues quickly.  I hear that the stabilizer muscles are the first to go.  I cannot wait until we can start working on exercises to regain strength.  I am not suppose to work on range of motion, but just watching Riley I can see how it differs from the other leg, but I am also seeing that it is getting more flexible as she uses it on potty walks and gets up and down.

Keep the healing thoughts coming this way!  Pray for a happy reunion!

15 comments:

What Remains Now said...

What a cute video. Riley was right on track.

I am thinking poor Riley and poor you. Restricted behavior for a young dog is just lousy. Praying for a good recovery...love the little countdown clock.

jet said...

Hm, is it possible she is tracking you? Looks like she's tracking your scent trail to the fence, and along the fence and then found the flyer. She would be a great tracking dog!

We are all sending bone-healing thoughts to you!

browndogcbr said...

Hi Y'all,

My paws are crossed and my Human said she's been keeping Riley close in her prayers.

Y'all come by now,
Hawk aka BrownDog

Tucker The Crestie said...

Wow, this has been an incredibly trying experience ... we're still crossing paws for you here.

Mad Red Hare said...

What an ordeal this has been, for you both. Sorry about the pressure sores. Hang in there!

Apex Agility Greyhounds said...

Looks like you'll have an easier time teaching Riley the scent articles than you did Katie. It's funny how some of our sight hounds really are just that, and how others are more inclined to use their noses.

Fingers crossed for no further complications for Riley's recovery!

Andreja said...

Wow, I know nothing about tracking but that sure looks impressive! Did you teach her to use her nose for anything or did she just pick it up herself?

Ruby loves it if I hide a toy in the living room, but he never puts his nose to the ground. He sniffs the air and looks around for the toy. It can take him quite a while to find it, but he thinks it's fun nevertheless.

gyeong said...

Cute video. She could be a S&R greyhound, in case anyone loses their Zanie Flyer :) Healing a bone always feels like it takes forever.

IHeartDogs said...

Continued healing thoughts and prayers sent Riley's way.

Good nose sweet girl! It is nice to see her walking around

You sound fine in the vid :)

Two Greyhound Town said...

I'm so sorry about the pressure sores. Reading about your problems with Riley makes me nervous about my boy since he is in a cast. This is my first experience with this type of thing so it's all a big learning experience.

I hope she is ALL better soon.

Muttsandaklutz said...

Dear Riley,

Please forget all thoughts about heeling, so that you can put all your thoughts toward healing.

Thanks,

Lisa

Kathy said...

She is so darn cute! Healing thoughts still coming. I know this has been a long ordeal for you and Riley. Time to look into K9 Noseworks: http://k9nosework.com/
Cori loves it! We take a class at Canine Ranch in Canton. There are some classes also at GVS sometimes.

Kristin G. said...

Awhh, I love to see a dog with a favorite toy. We might have to check out a Zanie Flyer for Zoe, who loves toys. I hope Riley heals quickly and can return to playing with enthusiasm in no time!!

Greyhounds CAN Sit said...

Poor Riley looks like she's making the best of things. Such a shame about the sores. I hope they heal up quickly. She's got enough on her plate just getting her bones right. Lots of healing thoughts coming to her from us.

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of scent work (www.nacsw.net)- lots of great thinking, stimulation and reward for a hound's brain! (See also Temple Grandin's ideas about "seeking" as a positive emotion for dogs.) Even a "sight hound" can be a "scent hound!" My GH has passed all three ORTs and is getting ready for his NW1 trial in October.