Monday, August 15, 2011

Precious and Wonderful

Riley is a third of the way through her six weeks of confinement for her fractured hock.  She is just so precious and wonderful and has adapted to the new, boring routine.
Riley is confined to an ex pen in our kitchen nearly 24 hours a day.  Our entire house is slippery tile or hardwood floors.  I just cannot take the risk of allowing her to move about unleashed.  She is simply not sensible enough.  Plus I do not want her thinking that things are normal right now. 
The ex pen is located next to a large window which I love.  Our house does not get a lot of natural light through the windows, but Riley is in one of the few locations that is bright all day without any direct sunlight.  The ex pen gives her twice as much room as her crate and affords her a few special priviledges.

One, Riley gets treats for no reason and the humans often share bites of whatever is for dinner. Mine get enough treats so I never just give treats for being cute... that is unless you have a broken leg.  Second, we let Riley squeak really annoying toys.  We have very few toys around the house because Reagan and Seven are destroyers and then eat their spoils.  Riley just likes to squeak them so rotate toys in the ex pen.
Riley, of course, has to be on leash anytime she is outside of the ex pen. I have been taking her to the front yard to potty since there are usually more noises, smells, and sights to investigate.  As you can see, Riley gets around very well with her splint.
I also let her eat grass...
... and bake in the sun.  Unfortunately, she is not much of a sunbather so she is quick to say "enough".
Thank you for all the nice comments and well wishes.

19 comments:

Granted Wishes Canines said...

Awe, I'm so glad Riley's recovery is going well. What a nice system you've got worked out for her.

houndstooth said...

Well, Riley does deserve to enjoy the good life while she convalesces! She's such a good patient. I'm not sure who it's tougher on, the dog or the person sometimes!

jet said...

hehe, spoiled girl! she does seem to be enjoying the garden smells! Barbie only just learned to use her nose like that, she used to just trot around, but since she has been at the kennel with non-sighthounds she has learned about the wonderful world of sniffing!

Mad Red Hare said...

I agree that extra treats are in order! It always amazes me how these greys can pretty much adapt to whatever they have to. Such a good girl!

andrea said...

so glad she's mending :)
hang in there

Cool Coty said...

A little natural light makes us all feel better - 'course extra treats works wonders also.

Cat said...

Good girl, Riley. Matisse is begging for tidbits now following her injury recovery that included extras of everything. Of all things that could have happened, I figure that's a problem I don't mind having to resolve now that she's healed. :)

K-Koira said...

Glad her recovery is going so good.

Hiking Hounds said...

What a sweetie. I love her pink camouflage cast wrap. I bet she is loving all the extra attention.

Kim, Rambling Family Manager said...

What do you look for in a greyhound? There is one at the kennel I volunteer with that looks, to my inexperienced eye, as one that would be PERFECT for agility training. (Or any kind of specialty training, actually.) She LOVES treats but even more than that she loves attention and affection. She's also a barker, but I worked on that with her and she GOT IT in about 10 minutes. (Or less; I worked with her a little longer to reinforce the idea.) My daughter and I turned our backs on her when she barked, then turned back to her and gave her treats and attention when she was quiet. She GOT IT and actually shut up, miracle of miracles! My daughter is in love with her and wants us to adopt her but our current greyhound doesn't like her so much, so we can't, but what a sweetheart! Can we "sell" her on her Pet Finder profile as good for agility?

jerZgirl said...

Good to read she is healing well. :)

4-legged Wiums said...

glad to hear that she's on the mend and coping well with being confined, you are very lucky there! Arrow went totally stir crazy each time we had to confine him!

angelofthemind said...

Glad to hear that she's doing so well!

Kini_pella said...

Riley seems such a sweetheart <3 Ferguson and I send her warm wishes and a speedy recovery! Can't wait to see her up and moving again!

Greyhounds CAN Sit said...

What a good girl Riley is:) It's amazing she's adapted to her incarceration so well considering her fitness and previous exercise and training regime! She's getting around wonderfully on her leg, I thought she'd be limping! Hopefully the next 4 weeks will fly by and we can see Riley in action again ... although I imagine she'll need to build up after her layoff.

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

Last week flew by! Already time for another splint change. :-) Thanks everyone!

Kim, can you email me. jensjkt@yahoo.com.

gyeong said...

She is getting spoiled rotten. Not sure she will want to go back to training after this :)

Susan McKeon said...

What a great post. Poor Riley, I think she's a lot in common with Mina - my canine catastrophe - who's currently sporting a fetching limegreen bandage on her left back leg (split webbing)...and only weeks after having a toe amputated on her right front paw!

I really wish Riley a speedy recovery - she's obviously so well loved.

Susan

PS Thanks for hint on my blog re comments

Carol's Critter Corner said...

Looks like she is doing well. Can hardly tell from her walk that she has an injury.

Here's hoping her to get all better and be amongst the cageless!