Saturday, August 27, 2011

Downhill

Riley's hock fracture appears to be healing well.  We are over the hump and it is downhill from here.  We did have a little scare during one of the splint changes.  Riley pulled her leg and I guess surprised herself when she flexed the hock.  She yelped and leaped to her feet.  Dr. C caught her rear end and kept her from putting any weight on it.  I was really surprised Riley was so reactive.  It was the kind of over reaction we expect from Seven when she steps on a rock (Ha!), but Riley never does that.  As a precaution, we x-rayed it again and I am happy to report it was a waste of time and money.  You could just barely make out the start of healing and everything looked as it should at that point in time.
I am thrilled that we have avoided pressure sores and nastiness between the toes so far.  I was having the splint changed once a week, but now that I am saving money and doing it myself, I have switched to a four day schedule.  
Riley's feet are really interesting.  Her unused pads are rough and in need of a good buffing.  They are quite scratchy and HAIRY!  Obviously, being active keeps the hair between the toes and around the pads worn down, but right now they are long feathery and extend past her pads. 
I recently took Riley to PetSmart to just get out of the house for some different sights and smells.  I think she really enjoyed the outing and seeing the animals.  Riley loves animals!
Of course, she does not love them in a way that is best for the animals.  Riley said hi to a few strangers and we picked out a toy with a lot of squeakers.
"I wanted a cat."

Oh well, we cannot always have what we want, Riley.  But she did enjoy her nose in the wind and her ears flapping in the breeze.

17 comments:

Mad Red Hare said...

So glad to hear things are coming along nicely! She is being such a good sport. I know you are counting down the days. Greyhounds can be so stoic, but then other times, they can be such babies!

jet said...

love her fluffy paw! My kitties, being inside kitties, have that excessive fur growth on their feet. Mittens, being particularly fluffy, has tufts hanging off her feet. The vet tried to pull it off, and when Mittens pulled her paw away the vet said 'o, that is attached to you! sorry!' haha

Hiking Hounds said...

That's great that Riley's healing so well and she's getting out a little. I've been trying to do the same with Zephyr, but we go to the local nursery so he can watch the Koi and turtles. :-)

K-Koira said...

Glad to hear things are healing smoothly. Hopefully everything continues to go well

Witty Angel said...

I'm glad to hear she is on the mends. I love the picture of her roaching.

Jennifer H. said...

So happy to hear her recovery is going so well! Way to go Riley!!!

Two Greyhound Town said...

I just learned of Riley's injury by someone who reads my blog. I'm glad she is doing so well.

My new grey, Joey, is having surgery on Wednesday for a year old injury to his hock. He will have two plates put in and then he will be crated for 4-6 weeks. I think that is going to be so hard, but I see Riley has survived that part of it. He will not have a cast. He will have to use a sling. I've been very nervous about all of it, but it's nice to read about another grey who has gone through a similar experience and is doing so well.

Patty
Mom to Joey and Scout

Muttsandaklutz said...

"I wanted a cat."

You crack me up!!!! :-D

houndstooth said...

I'm so glad to hear that the path to recovery has been a smooth and easy ride without any bumps in the road. Bunny shares Riley's wish for a cat, and mentioned possibly putting it on her Christmas list.

The part that was hard for me with Blueberry after her splint came off was how hard it was for her to use those muscles right away after it happened. It took her a few days to get used to walking without the splint and start building up her muscles again, but she's not nearly in the shape that Riley is!

Amy / Layla the Malamute said...

Thank you! Someone else had mentioned they couldn't comment on my blog but I wasn't sure what the issue was. I just changed it so hopefully it'll be fixed.

So far it's just heavy rain, but the real hurricane type stuff is coming later this evening, through the night and into tomorrow. Now we also have tornado watches. Fun!

I was flipping through the channels the other day and I FINALLY saw you and Riley on TV. I only saw the weave pole challenge but you guys looked AWESOME!

Thanks for letting me know how to fix the comments and especially for the well wishes for the hurricane :)

Pepper said...

Hahaha "I wanted a cat" That is the exact same comment I get from my dog whenever we leave the pet shop. Glad she's healing up well.

Greyhounds CAN Sit said...

I don't suppose it would be very PC to have a squeaky cat toy for Greyhounds? Glad to see Riley getting out and about and enjoying herself, even if she doesn't always get what she wants:) Interesting about the hairy feet. Makes sense when you think about it!

Two weeks to go, yay!

Glad you're not in Irene's way!

gyeong said...

The title of the post scared me there for a sec. 'Downhill'? But things were going so well. Glad she is healing along. That squeaky toy looks nothing like a cat :)

jerZgirl said...

So glad Riley is healing so well!!! Love reading good news. :)

Apex Agility Greyhounds said...

Yay! I'm glad to hear that Riley is recovering uneventfully. Hopefully we will be seeing videos of her doing agility again soon.

Michelle said...

So glad she is healing well! I love the "I wanted a cat" comment, lmao!! :)

Kathy said...

My oh my! Riley is going to be pretty spoiled when all of this is said and done. She will expect head out the window excursions for the rest of her life.

When I enter my subdivision, my windows go down for the 2 mile drive at 20-25 mph to my house. My dogs love it. They get pissed off when the weather is too cold and I don't want to roll the windows down. Sometimes we compromise and I blast the heat for the 2 mile ride in cold weather :)