Sunday, June 12, 2011

Drama Queen

Seven: OH MY DOG!  MY PAW!  IT HURTS SO BAD!  I CANNOT WALK!

Jen:  Really? What is the matter?

Seven:  I CANNOT PUT ANY WEIGHT ON IT!

Jen:  Okay. Let me check out this injury...... Nothing is broken.  Your toes are all pointing in the correct direction. You are not bleeding.  Your pads look fine.  There are no wounds.  I see no swelling.  Your are fine.  Lets go.

Seven:  OWWW!  OWWW!  OH IT HURTS SO BAD!

Jen:  Seriously?  I think you are exaggerating.  If you keep this up, I am not going to believe you in the future if ever something is actually wrong.

Seven:  BUT SOMETHING IS WRONG!  I AM IN PAIN!

Jen:  No, you are not.  Suck it up because I am not going to carry you. 

Seven:  Can't we just stay where we are?  You can feed me treats and rub my belly.

Jen:  NO!  You are just going to have to walk on it.

Seven: Ow ow ow.

Jen:  I am not listening.  Keep walking.


Of course, Seven walks just fine when I stop entertaining her delusions of lameness.

11 comments:

Greyhounds CAN Sit said...

I find a gentle rub wherever it 'hurts' and a kiss on the forehead is the best medicine for Beryl:) Thankfully she's never heard of bandaids! She'd actually cope OK if I told her to just suck it up but I think it makes me feel good to rub it better and see her come right instantly, lol!

gyeong said...

'Walk it off' is a well used phrase in my household. The only one I carry is 13 yr old Beth, and that's only up and down the stairs b/c she has 'old lady butt'.

KF-in-Georgia said...

Jacey bumped her leg on a coffee table last week and yelped. She stood on three feet, holding the bad leg up, and whimpered. Having been through a similar event with Oreo--same leg, even--I'm pleased that I didn't lose it. I touched Jacey's leg, didn't get any reaction from her, said, "Come on," and she walked just fine to the front door to go outside. I think that my touching her leg was the magic cure for her. ;)

Of course, she's a piece of cake compared to the Big Baby (who screams when it hurts), but he's happily sucking down methocarbamol these days and often is feeling well enough to throw his toys around.

Hiking Hounds said...

LOL! Poor Seven. That conversation sounded a lot like ones I've had with my 3rd graders. :-)

K-Koira said...

Lol, thats great. A friend of mine's Border Collie will do that, keeping up the pretense by holding her paw up, but then forgets which paw it was and switches which one "hurts"

Apex Agility Greyhounds said...

Summit is magically lame several times a walk during the winter. At first I thought it was snow build up. But every time I checked his paws there was no snow in them. I'd rub them a bit to get any "imaginary" snow and ice out, and then he'd be fine for another 5 minutes until the snow and ice came back to get him!

BrittBeah said...

Sounds like some clever hound found a way to scam you into giving her all the attention she wanted! Clever girl.

houndstooth said...

Oh, we've been there! Usually I rub the "injured" limb and then all is better. I guess sympathy works wonders!

Muttsandaklutz said...

"Can't we just stay where we are? You can feed me treats and rub my belly."

LOL!!!

E.A. said...

Hello!

You have been given an Inspiration Award!
Stop by my blog to pick it up:

http://whatdogsdo.blogspot.com/2011/06/inspiration-award.html

x E.A.

Michelle said...

Oh, she is clever, very clever! LOL!