Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Kinda Cool, Kinda Worried

Riley and I have been invited to compete in agility at the Purina Incredible Dog Challenge in Atlanta.  You may have seen this event on television in the past.  It is a very exciting offer and a great opportunity to show off Riley.  I really hope we can perform at our best and it would be so awesome if we actually made it on television. 
First, I have to thank my father for being incredibly awesome.  I had promised to go to a family reunion in Mississippi the same weekend and it has been on my calendar for almost a year.  I was afraid he was going to be very disappointed, but I think he was more thrilled and excited about our invitation and immediately told me to go.  I really appreciated that.  And thank you, Kate, for putting Riley's name in Purina's hat.
All in all, I am very excited and looking forward to the event, but there is one "but".  Riley does have weird moments and when they happen, she does not function.  The "issue" has never interfered with competing and I forget about it since it does not happen often.  But this event may have some triggers we normally do not face at regular agility trials.
I picture the Incredible Dog Challenge to be an event held on grass, people everywhere, music coming out of speakers, loud announcing, and new smells around every corner.  We attended an event with a similar setting last summer and Riley had a meltdown.  She tucked her tail, would not eat, and just wanted to leave.  I am unsure of the trigger(s) because sometimes it seems sound related and other times smell related.  Even after a couple of hours, she remained unchanged.  Luckily, we were not required to perform at that event. If she had a similar reaction to the Dog Challenge venue, Riley would be unable to compete.
I am currently thinking through my strategy for managing Riley at the event and have some ideas already.  If she is happy, she will do great.

19 comments:

jet said...

would be a great thing for Greyhounds everywhere as well as you and Riley. Hopefully she doesn't have a melt down.

Hiking Hounds said...

Congratulations, what a great opportunity! I think you both will do a great job.

Lindsay said...

Congratulations and good luck!! I hope we get to see you guys on TV!

greytblackdog said...

Seriously, I have chills! How exciting. A year makes a huge difference. She is so much more confident now and LOVES to work. She may surprise you despite the new environment.

Hiking Hounds said...

Will you let us know the channel and when it's on TV?

Apex Agility Greyhounds said...

What an exciting opportunity for you and Riley! She's such an amazing agility dog and you've been working really hard with her. I hope she does well, and please do let us know where we can watch the event!

Sandy ~~~ said...

I know this is easy for me to say...but try not to limit your successes by worrying about your possible shortfalls. Go for the sheer joy of showing the teamwork between the two of you.

If we all had a crystal ball I think we would miss out on a whole lot of fun stuff!

GO Greyhounds!

gyeong said...

Congrats on the invite. Looking forward to watching you guys on tv. Awesome pics!

IHeartDogs said...

How exciting! Congrats!
Cannot wait to see you on TV
Fingers and paws crossed that all go well and you guys have great runs! Have fun.

Amy / Layla the Malamute said...

That is SOOO cool!! I'm so excited for you!

How do you get chosen to participate? I've seen them on TV and always wondered about the selection process.

Muttsandaklutz said...

Wicked!!! Congratulations to a hugely deserving team. I've no doubt you'll do a fantastic job both out of the ring preventing issues and in the ring doing your thing.

houndstooth said...

How exciting! I hope we get a chance to see it when you're on! I think the important part will be you staying calm so that she feels like it's just another run.

Greyhounds CAN Sit said...

Wow, this is so exciting and a bit scary too, huh! Congratulations on being chosen. It's not far away, is it?

I'd love to be able to see the programme:(

Here's hoping Riley has gotten over whatever caused her last meltdown:)

Lots of luck, although you won't need it, you've got all the skills and a great team going with Riley.

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

Thanks for all the support everyone. Sandy, you are absolutely right. Yes, I will let you guys know when it airs... I think that will be a few months from now. From those out of the USA, I'm pretty sure it will be viewable online and I will get that info too.

As far as getting chosen, they have some recruiters that keep their eyes open for good running, interesting dogs. I just happened to know someone that knows someone that gave them my name.

Sam Burton said...

Not just 'Kinda Cool..." Way Cool!

Tarmar said...

I am so excited for you and Riley! I will be keeping my fingers crossed that she will be impervious to the environment and totally in the zone with you!

Katie said...

Oh wow! I'm so excited for you guys. I hope to see you on tv :D

I very much understand your worries. I hope that Riley will be able to handle the chaos with grace and without any meltdowns.

greygirl25 said...

The hounds of Greyhound Gardens are sending lots of congrats and best wishes.

IHateToast said...

how exciting!!! you'll do great, even if you wear green sweatpants.