Sunday, March 27, 2011

1999 Blooper

Since 1999, I have trained or am in the process of training seven greyhounds in agility. As you can imagine, I have gained some experience over the years and am a much better trainer and handler today. I thought you might all enjoy this blooper clip from 1999.
Not only was I a horrible dresser (ugly green sweat pants? what the heck was I thinking?), but I was not a very good trainer/handler. Nonetheless, Jessie and I had fun anyway. So here is a clip from 1999, the year I began competing in agility. It is the agility run I will always remember with Jessie. Due to bad training, Jessie often missed the yellow contact zones, so we rarely qualified in the Standard class. In this run, by some miracle, Jessie manages to get at least a toenail into each required zone. So as I am desperately racing for the last jump, I trip and fall. Jessie runs past the last jump causing us to not qualify and then starts spinning. The spins are hilarious so be sure to watch the last 10 seconds a second time.

Ahhh... the good old days. Jessie has been gone almost seven years now. It is so nice to have photos and videos to remind us when so much time has passed. Good girl, Jess.

11 comments:

Greyhounds CAN Sit said...

Lol, that was a crackup! Jessie sure had the spins down pat and she looked like she was having a blast:)

Hmm, I don't usually notice what clothes you're wearing, Jen! I'm too busy watching your dogs ... but now you mention it, those trackies are pretty daggy, lol.

Thanks for the laughs.

jet said...

she is so cute.... you must have gotten tired fast running agility courses like that! there are still some clubs in Perth that train like that (run with your dog past all the obstacles)...

love how she seems to want to jump over the yellow contacts!

4-legged Wiums said...

hehe that's pretty funny where she trips you over and starts spinning. funny!

IHateToast said...

yeah, sorry. i laughed. i bump into everything, so it was nice to watch someone else do it.

some of those obstacles scare me. i still have playground nightmares of being bumped on the seesaw.

Autaven said...

Just found your blog and watched your bloopers, loved them! I'm so sure with summer runs there will be lots of slips and slides to come. I run with my cavalier, who grumbled all the way through watching your video lol :)

http://notsocountry.blogspot.com/

xo

Muttsandaklutz said...

Your handling style sure has evolved! I love the hand clap at the start and how you crouched down at the tunnels and chute as if to demonstrate to your dog that she would have to crouch to take those obstacles :-) But seriously, your (current!) handling style is one of the smoothest, fluidest I have seen and is always a joy to watch.

But one thing hasn't changed and that's how much fun your dog is having with you!

houndstooth said...

Jessie was such a cutie pie!

I have a good case of the giggles now, thank you! I don't think I'd have noticed half that funny stuff if you hadn't set it up first!

Eliz said...

That was great, thanks for sharing! It is nice to know that even a agility star like you has to start out somewhere. Jesse looks like she is having so much fun.

BoomBoom in NH said...

For agility neophytes everywhere let me say, you and Jessie give us hope!

My husband and I love following your agility adventures- at the novice and superstar levels! Since our first greyhound, BoomBoom, entered our lives about a year ago, all our exploits (agility and otherwise) have been informed and enhanced by what you share. Thanks so much for the inspiration of your expertise and the reminder that even experts start somewhere!!

Best of luck at the Purina Incredible Dog Challenge this coming weekend!

Hiking Hounds said...

The spins are great! The sweats are funny because I used to dress the exact same way. :-)

janette Ash said...

Well, I think the video is great, I aspire to look so good.