Sunday, January 16, 2011

Camping Firsts

Riley, Seven, and I camped in my tent at the Harriman agility trial.  This was my first time back to tent camping since May 2008, before Travis died.  It was the first time for Riley and Seven.  It was the first time during winter.... luckily indoors.
Although indoors, is was not without hardships.  For one, the building is not heated at night.  It certainly was not as bitter as the snowy, windy, cold conditions outside, but the fleeces, long sleeves, space heater, and electric blanket were necessities.  It was also very dusty with the stirred up dirt hanging in the air long after everyone had left. 
One other brave soul camped as well and he was an excellent neighbor and knew everything you need to know about camping at Harriman.  Camping is definitely a money saver, but it is labor intensive.  I especially hate having to use the bath house facilities, but its almost free, so I get over it.
The girls did really well with camping.  Recall that Riley has some issues with hotel rooms and tends to have a meltdown on day 2 just outside the room.  However, she did really well with camping.  Sometimes she was very alert to our neighbor outside of our tent.  I sometimes asked him to say hi to the girls and hearing his voice would settle her down.  I am hoping she outgrows her weirdness all together.  Seven could care less about it all. 
But Seven does care about being by my side 24/7 and continues to voice her opinion on the manner.  The trial was a really good experience for her.  She had to see me come in and out of sight over and over.  Sometimes it was her turn to come out and sometimes it was Riley's turn.  She was never alone as there are lots of other people and dogs at the trial coming and going at all times.
Focus will certainly not be a problem for Seven.  While Riley snoozes and recharges her batteries, Seven is on high alert at all times.  I was surprised that she was not exhausted each night, but really she was not.

The Harriman trial is situated next door to a college that has a nice walking path and a field for the girls to play fetch in.  We go for long walks each day.
Riley was nice to carry the wet, slimy fetch toy back to... well, of course, until I took a picture of her doing it and she promptly dropped it and made me carry it the rest of the way. 
All in all, we had a lot of fun and despite the approaching snow storm and nail in my tire, we made it home safe and sound.