Wednesday, November 3, 2010

WOW!

I was so pleased with Riley last weekend! She was perfection! On Friday, we competed in obedience. Unfortunately, I do not have any video, but Riley scored 195.5 out of 200 in Novice B and placed first against 10 or so other dogs. Again she was so cute and very happy to work for her scrambled eggs jackpot.

We ended up tying for High in Trial which is an award given to the the highest obedience score of the day. A Portuguese Water Dog also earned a score of 195.5 in another obedience class. The tie is broken by each dog and handler being judged on a heel off leash pattern. Both dogs had very minor deductions and tied again! The second heel pattern, both dogs were perfect and I believe it was a hard decision, but the judge gave it to the PWD. I was thrilled that two non-traditional obedience breeds were going for High in Trial. Everyone was very excited and complimentary. Next day, we were off to a two day agility trial. Riley was AWESOME!!! Two perfect Excellent A level runs resulting in two more 1st place finishes. Riley was very fast in Jumpers covering 6.14 yards per second which is faster than Travis.


On Sunday, Riley was awesome again. She placed first in the Standard class and finished her Excellent title. This moves her up to the highest agility level where she can now earn points to be ranked, to earn agility championships, and to be invited to invitationals and nationals. In Jumpers, we had the course nailed until the very end. The very tricky course ended with a tunnel. Recall that Riley sometimes ducks around tunnels or even jumps them... notice she did not do that at all this weekend... good girl, Riley! But she did go into the wrong tunnel entrance. Not qualifying, but no big deal. I was so happy she entered the tunnel after a speedy line of jumps.


It is wonderful when everything begins to come together. Riley was so smooth and focused this weekend.

Agility photos by In Motion Photography.

25 comments:

Sientay L said...

Congrats to Riley!! Yea!! She looked great and seemed to be having fun. She's so speedy.

jcp said...

Thats great! She looks like a pro :). I know that they adjust the size of the jumps etc for big dogs vs small dogs to normalize things. How do her times compare to more traditional agility dogs like the Border Collie? She looks so FAST :).

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

She was right there with the border collies on that really fast Jumpers course. There is a super fast border collie that jumps 26 inches (2 inches higher than Riley). Riley was less than a second slower on that course. So very exciting!

Life With Dogs said...

Brilliant! Congrats to an exceptional hound. I love the weave pole pic - is that a giant smile I detect?

Sue said...

I love watching Riley do the agility courses.

The last photo says it all - one happy dog and one proud mum.

Corbin said...

Those photos are GREAT!
-Corbin

Chi-Town Bound said...

A hearty congrats to Riley!

KF-in-Georgia said...

Oh, congratulations! To you and Riley! I love that you're both having so much fun, as well as doing such a great job.

Aragon greyhounds said...

Beautiful runs and distance handling! For a dog who wasn't a natural jumper you certainly taught her well. How did you teach her to be so comfortable jumping?

Granted Wishes Greyhounds said...

OMG WOW!!! I'm so inspired, that was amazing! I can't wait to get my agility hound(s) someday. You and Riley... ROCK! <3

Please give her lots of hugs, kisses, and treats from me.

Britni said...

Go Riley! Congratulations!

Amanda Violette-Groth said...

I do love your blog - what an ongoing story! Hoping to have a couple greyhounds of my own someday but will probably have to wait until things settle down. Congrats to you and Riley!

IHeartDogs said...

Woot woot! Way to go sweetie!
I guess scrambled eggs = perfect runs!
:)

You're an amazing trainer and handler and Riley looks like she is having a blast.

Brooke said...

Wow is right! Way to go, Riley! And way to go, Jenn, in training her! She looks like one happy, happy hound with a very bright future ahead of her. Congrats!

houndstooth said...

Way to go Riley! I don't think I will ever get tired of watching her do her thing! It's also good to hear you sounding so positive and upbeat about things. :) I am so happy for you both!

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

Thanks everyone. I'm so glad you all enjoy seeing her. Riley's proud mama likes to show her off. :-)

Aragon, I had to raise the jumps gradually with her. She had to pretty much learn everything at a lower height. I also noticed that she takes less rails down on 4 foot wide jumps... most of mine are 3 feet wide. So I've started to use my 4 foot wide jumps in places I think she might have trouble... since they are that wide in competition too. Its helped!

Ginny said...

Congratulations to you and Riley...you make a great team! I can't wait to see what the future holds for you two. I always wondered how a Greyhound might compare to a Border Collie in agility, thanks for telling us. It's great to see you two having so much fun!!!

jet said...

YAY! It's so cool seeing Riley up there with the BCs! ;) And faster than Travis!

whygreyhounds said...

Congrats to you both! Go get those Border Collies's Riley!!

Robin Sallie said...

Nice job!

I think someone forgot to tell Riley that you can not teach a greyhound to sit!

Michelle said...

Congrats to you and Riley!!

Greyhounds CAN Sit said...

Oh what can I say? That was so awesome to watch. You are such a wonderful team and Riley is so happy! Wow is right:-)

Anonymous said...

Look how happy that Greyhound is!!

Wow, Jules, I bet that really pisses you off!

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

Ha! For anyone who doesn't know, Jules likes to visit on rare occasions, leave a nasty comment, and hide behind her private profile.

jerZgirl said...

That is so awesome! I love your blog - my heart belongs to an ex-racer who is at the Bridge...I love seeing all that your Greyhounds can do and do well!