Sunday, October 17, 2010

This Little Piggy

Katie continues to have off and on mystery lameness. However, I think I am finally certain it is a toe causing the pain. Recently, the toe in question started to bleed as if there was an abscess. It is a middle toe with an amputated neighbor.Initially, we dismissed the swollen toe because Katie refuses to flinch or wince during an examination. The toe's joints are intact and tight. The vet and I tried to pin point the pain, but inevitably she would put her game face on and be as sound as an old, neurological dog can be. She also has toes on the opposite foot that are completely broken down (see below) and she does not complain about them. It was hard to believe she was complaining about a swollen toe. Katie was put on antibiotics. I think she is possibly better, but she continues to not be forthcoming with information about how much pain she is or is not in. I am tempted to X-ray it, but then what? Would we take any action? I have to admit I would love to see an X-ray of both rear feet, but I hesitate because it would be stressful and she would most likely have to be sedated.Recently, I noticed a deformity as I was examining pictures of the injured toe. In the photo below look at the position of the nail and the pad (see below). The pad should not have an angle in the middle of it. The nail is also on the same plane. If you compare to the other toes (see above), you see that the nails run parallel to the pad, but are not on the same level. It appears to me that she is wearing the nail and part of the pad away. I have never seen anything like it and I am not sure what would be happening internally to cause it.Despite it all, Katie continues to be a happy, playful girl.
This Little Piggie was deformed,

This Little Piggie was dislocated,

This Little Piggie was broken,

This Little Piggie was amputated,

And this Little Piggie went wee wee wee all the way home.

14 comments:

jet said...

she is such a cute old lady... her toes are also very interesting! Greys have such long toes I'm sure they are a bit different to normal dog feet.

Chi-Town Bound said...

What cute toes!!! I am taking Zero in the morning to the vet as he has been limping on his right side, but when he walks in the grass, it's fine. Here's keeping the fingers (and toes!!) crossed.

Sistertex said...

I have had a lot of greyhounds (19 of them), and I have to admit I've not seen anything like what is going on with her toes either. Interesting....maybe arthritius is affecting the joints and causing some problems with positioning which causes them to sit a little differently when she walks? I know people with arthritus that hav fingers that kind of do that. This is what made me thing perhaps this could be the case with her toes.

Love your blog! Wonderful photos, looks like everyone is having a pretty good time.

lancerandme said...

Lancer has a similar toe deformity to the one that Katie has in the picture - the pad it the wrong shape and is slowly getting worn down. He has a permanent pink slightly sore spot on that toe. I'm not sure what causes pads like that (and neither does my vet!) but we just put soothing healing pad cream on it and let him be. I think its something that you just manage so long as its not too bothersome. I love the zoomies though - she looks like one happy little old lady!!

Aragon greyhounds said...

Katie is so full of life she is a joy to watch.

My experience with amputating a toe on an active greyhound is similar to yours-torn SDF tendons,dislocated toe etc on the foot with the amputated toe. She was on and off lame the rest of her life because of what happened to the toes on that foot.

Mad Red Hare said...

She looks like such a sweetie! My vet also says it is hard to pinpoint pain in these dogs because they are so stoic! You take them in for a limp and they can find nothing! Like you said about the x-ray, they would have to sedate her. Then what? I had this recently with my Dixie girl. We opted to skip the x-ray for now. Hers appears to be in the shoulder, which really freaks me out!

houndstooth said...

Katie pictures always warm my heart! Is it possible she's got a corn or something on the back of her pad that's causing her to try to put weight on the front of that toe instead? That's just a ballpark guess. I have a blog friend who's dog is currently in a cast because she broke or separated a tendon in one of her toes and had to have surgery. It seems unlikely that Katie's done anything like that, though. I hope she'll be okay and pain free. Painful toes can't be a good thing!

Sue said...

Katie is a lovely old lady.

I hope you can help her with her limp.

My Song started favouring her front leg yesterday evening. I can't see anything wrong with it. Think she may have pulled something during one of her mad races round my dad's garden.

They are such a worry, as we love them so much.

Muttsandaklutz said...

Oh my, those little piggies have been through a lot! Her shenanigans in that video totally made me smile. She looks so happy. And her winking/blinking at the end of the video -- awwwww. Sweetheart.

Greyhounds CAN Sit said...

Katie is such a little character. I'm glad she doesn't know how much you worry about her. I'm sure it would upset her. It's quite amazing she can zoom and spin with those little piggies but she has so much fun, she makes me smile:-)

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

Thank you for all the kind thoughts for Katie. We are having a bad day today, so they are much appreciated.

GreyDreams said...

Katie is so beautiful. Her eyes really got to me in the video, when you are rubbing her ears and she's looking at you so full of love.

Please give her a scritch for me <3

Has arthritis been completely ruled out? If not, you might try giving her glucosamine complex + chondroitin + MSM. My galgo has some joint problems in lower legs and feet (it hasn't been diagnosed as arthritis). He was limping after every run. After about a week on glucosamine complex he stopped limping.

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

GreyDreams, she definitely is full of arthritis. I did have her on additional supplements for arthritis, but she is getting stubborn about taking pills so I've switch to just the hardcore pain drugs we have her on.

Thank you for the kind note.

Jen

Sandy ~~~ said...

And...this little piggie was loved beyond belief!