Wednesday, September 1, 2010

I Am A Freak

Katie gave us a scare last weekend. She became very lame on her neurological hind leg. She was not getting around very well at all. Needed some support to go to the bathroom and could not climb the two stair steps that divide our house in half.On Monday morning, I headed off to work as usual at 5:30 AM. Being so early, I do not have time to do much more than get ready. I assumed Katie was the same. You know what they say about A-S-S-U-M-E. Assuming makes an ass out of your and me. In this case, I think it was just me.Spending hours at work and unable to check Katie really lets my mind go wild. Initially, I thought it was another busted toe, but then had second thoughts. Katie has some wildly, twisted toes and pays them no attention. Why would a swollen toe that is otherwise straight and tight be causing significantly more pain than the disfigured toes? So I started dreaming up all the bad possibilities and made Katie an appointment to see the vet at 3:30 PM.

Time crawled, but finally it was time to get home. Of course, Katie is on her feet ready to go potty. I use a towel around her waste to support her while she squatted. Well, she tows me out to the yard and proceeds to buck and spin like a yearling (see video below for an example).

I started to think I'm going to look silly at the vet. Sure enough. I looked like a fool. Dr. Toby had to search pretty hard to find some groin pain and suspects she just strained her groin. A groin injury can be pretty serious for a performance dog, but at age 12 and fully retired, we are not going to do anything different. She will still do her cavalettis and suck food out of Kongs everyday.

At least in this case, it was better to be a fool than right!

11 comments:

jet said...

katie spins are SO CUTE! glad it was only a soft tissue issue

jcp said...

Katie looks so fantastic. It's hard to believe she is 12. The benefits of an active lifestyle no doubt. I sympathize on the groin pull. I've done that.. not fun.

Sam said...

Better safe than sorry. I'm glad you acted like a "freak" and got Katie checked out, but I'm also glad that the problem is a minor one. :)

Sue said...

So pleased Katie will be ok. Even more tlc from her mum.

Sandy ~~~ said...

A trip to the vet is NEVER wasted...even if you two just chat for awhile, you always go home smarter!

whygreyhounds said...

I agree, better safe than sorry! Katie looks so cute spinning around and puffing like that!

houndstooth said...

Her spins are so darned cute! I never get tired of seeing her do that little move.

I'd have been having a bit of a panic attack myself if I had a twelve year old hound who started limping. I'm so glad the only true injury was to your pride and pocketbook!

IHateToast said...

I often worry that when I opt not to hover, I screw it up. You're not a fool. You're cautious. You're a good girl. Now here's a Kong full of cookie dough and margarita mix. Go to your bed.

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

Cookie dough stuffed Kong.... sounds awesome! :-)

Thanks everyone! Katie still continues to do fine. Hope to swim her today.

I love those cute spins too. I know she is more likely to get hurt doing such things, but I just don't have the heart to stop her.

Sientay L said...

I'm constantly wondering about Dino and trying to figure out what is up with his hind end which Im sure is coming from somewhere in his spine. I really try not to b/c Dino will let us know if he's in real pain, right? I can relate to Katie's groin pains. Dino has been dealing with psoas muscle wackiness for a while. He's finally better after 10 months of chiro adjustments and little running.

Kathy said...

Better safe than sorry. Glad you went and had it checked out and that is just pulled groin muscle.