Sunday, July 25, 2010

Dock Jumping

Tomorrow is the second anniversary of Travis' passing. Time flies no matter what. I finally stripped his dock jumping videos from DVDs that originally came from tape. It is not super quality, but it is all I have. I usually try to edit videos for short attention spans (because I have one), but its my blog, that was my dog, and this is probably the only purebred greyhound most of you will ever see dock jumping. Travis is the only one I have ever seen..... how lucky am I that he was mine!Travis was not a spectacular dock jumper. His flat style did not carry him for a long distance, but it was hoot watching him get so excited for his turn. We had a great time! The record holder (at least at the time) was actually a greyhound/coonhound mix. His jumps reached 26 feet.

I was wondering the other day if Travis at age 12 would still be doing agility or not. I mentioned to Stephen that I probably would have retired him once Reagan and Riley were ready to compete. Stephen reminded me that I would not have adopted Riley if Travis were still alive. I do not think I would trade Riley for those two years (at least not today, tomorrow might be another story if she is bad :-). So things are working out, but I still miss him so much. Last year, I did a Memorial video for Travis. If you have not seen it, please check it out. I love how it turned out. Click Here.

10 comments:

Scout 'n Freyja said...

♥Isn't it remarkable how close to our hearts we keep dear memories of those we have loved and lost and hope to see again♥

Lindsay said...

He sounds like he was a pretty incredible dog! It's great that you have those videos to help when you're hurting.

jet said...

Aw, so cool to watch! He was an awesome dog and lucky that you ended up with him. So sad that their lives are so short :/

IHeartDogs said...

I'm a hot mess after watching the memorial video... <3 <3 <3

Michelle said...

Can't believe it has been two years. The memorial video makes me teary eyed every time I watch it. Seeing the dock diving made me smile. He will forever remain in your heart. :)

houndstooth said...

Travis was really an outstanding and one of a kind dog, for any breed! I didn't realize that you'd lost him so recently somehow. I lost my "perfect" first greyhound just two years ago in May. It's still so hard to believe sometimes. But like you, I also found another remarkable dog after she left, and I wouldn't be able to trade her for two more yearswith Treat, either. It seems so overwhelming when you're starting over, and hard to remember that you started somewhere with that first one, too. I am sorry for your loss today, but also glad that another found her home with you!

Hiking Hounds said...

He was such a great dog! And you gave him such a great life. I loved the videos, but I'm a little teary now. :-)

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

Thanks everyone! No crying though! I just like to make sure Travis is thought of occasionally. Thank you for that. It makes me happy!.... so no crying! :-)

Greyhounds CAN sit said...

It's so heart wrenching to lose a dog, I've been there many times. But it's great to open up your heart again to give another dog a wonderful home. I know the ones who leave us would want us to do that:-) Wonderful tribute to Travis.

whygreyhounds said...

Travis, beautiful boy! he is a super dog and I am sure he is smilin' from above, only happy memories for you both :-)