Saturday, July 31, 2010

Burning Up

After a crappy Saturday evening, the hubby and I returned home to a sauna. Our air conditioner was not working.Temperatures have been soaring to the high 90's (37 degrees for my Celsius friends) and humidity in the high 80's. We were in for it.Stephen ran to Wal-Mart to purchase a couple of fans. We knew we would be without air conditioner until at least Monday.We debated about whether to intrude on someone with our seven greyhounds (yes we were baby sitting an extra dog), but it seemed like such a hassle.We endured Sunday with cold showers and a wind tunnel living room. It was miserable. We did our best to keep the dogs cool and hydrated. Some sought out tile floors.Sunday night brought some relief as temperatures dropped a bit and the sun went down. We all slept in the living room. I was on the couch and Stephen slept on our dog bed/futon mattress. We surrounded ourselves with fans and propped our front door open. It was kind of weird to sleep knowing that someone could just walk right in. Hence the nearby shotgun.We decided we were not going to spend another night without air conditioning and had planned to move in with my parents. Luckily we did not have to as my hero showed up early Monday afternoon and revived our air conditioning unit.I have never appreciated air conditioning as much as I do now. It was truly a miserable experience.

7 comments:

jet said...

37? I am pretty sure we had 5 consecutive days over 40 here last summer. We don't have air con and the dogs cope OK with the ceiling fans and plenty of water. Our house has external shading and heavy curtains which help but I find if I have air con I don't ever actually leave the house and suffer worse when I try to ride to work.

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

I should have known a reader from another country was going to make fun of me. :-P We are spoiled and not acclimated to such temperatures. :-) You are definitely tougher than we are. :-)

jet said...

haha we don't have cold here though, so when we whinge that it's -1 deg C outside everyone laughs at us ;)

the dogs do get stir crazy in that weather though cos they can't really go out... I end up walking them at 11pm.

houndstooth said...

I agree with you on that one! I grew up in an old farmhouse built in the early 1900's and I didn't live in air conditioning until I was an adult, but now I couldn't go back to not having it! Lilac would read us the riot act if our a/c or her fan ever broke down!

Greyhounds CAN sit said...

I can sympathise even though I live in a stone house that never gets really hot inside in summer, I don't even have a fan in the house. But it is darn cold inside in the winter, like today! Glad the air con is working again:-)

whygreyhounds said...

Lol.........37 degree's is a nice day! Not quite air conditioner weather but close! ;-)

In Oz we get really hot weather, so we get acclimatized to it but you guys are very lucky to have nice even weather.

Happy the air con is going now for you all.

Jemma said...

Ugh, in our house, 37 feels like 40 something. The upstairs heats up FAST and retains the heat even throughout the night. Even an A/C can only do so much for us. We are miserable :(