Saturday, February 27, 2010

Novice Obedience

Reagan tortures me so in obedience. She is so cute with her antics and leaps. In obedience class, we all think she is so funny and flashy. But I really just want to get her showing as soon as she is ready and finish her Novice level title, so we can stop practicing. Knowing that she will probably never master a 3 minute sit stay required in the next level (Open) is disappointing. Reagan would be so cute retrieving, jumping, and doing the harder exercises at the higher levels. She would be such a crowd favorite. So the sooner we can quit practicing obedience, the sooner I can forget how much fun it is minus sit stays. I know that is not a good attitude, but I just am not going to force her to do something so uncomfortable. I have seen enough greyhound sit stays to know when I am fighting a really tough battle.

So here is Reagan working through all of the Novice exercises.

10 comments:

Chi-Town Bound said...

I have to say that it is quite amazing how Reagan works with you. I have not had Shelby in any ttype of obedience class, so I do not have room to complain, but she does not sit like a "regular dog" like Reagan. She will lay down when I tell her to sit. I guess that's still progress. Good luck!

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

Chi-Town, Thank you. You have to insist that they sit and not allow them to lie down. Keep in mind that you have to build endurance. 5 seconds.. great, get them up. Next week, up to 10 seconds, great, get them up. Its hard work for them. I also never ever ask mine to do downs from a sit simply because I don't want to reward them for something I don't want them to do 99% of the time. If they are going to break a sit stay, they need to stand up. No melting allowed.

houndstooth said...

She looks great going through her paces! I'm not so sure that a three minute stay is out of your grasp. She looks like she loves the work. She definitely is cute as a bug's ear when she's working!

Samantha said...

That so sad that she has to stop at novice. You would think they would have special greyhound rules!

Does graduate novice have a sit stay in it??

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

I will always keep working on the sit stays just in case. I just don't want to train something we won't get to use. She is great agility dog, so that will be her specialty.

I tend to stick to the 3 obedience levels and haven't gotten into Rally or the Graduate classes. There are so many other things to spend my money on... like agility trials! :-)

Granted Wishes Greyhounds said...

I <3 the video and I <3 Reagan. I have no doubt in my mind that you 2 will totally get a 3 minute sit-stay.

Michelle said...

Best of luck to you! Keep working on it, she might surprise you. :)

Pam said...

She is just so much a puppy compared to Riley! Give her time. Her attitude is fabulous. She may never get the same concentration Riley has. Or, she may all-of-sudden have the light come on. Right now, she's got that ugly, rocked-back sit thing going on and she's not moving her rear like Riley does. But, she's SO HAPPY! Such a willing worker! OTOH, if she turns out to be an agility star, screw the obedience stuff!

gyeong said...

She does look very happy to be out there with you. Looks like she's having fun.

Lindy MacDuff said...

Wow, she does really well! Good job!