Thursday, January 7, 2010

Golden Child

Riley is the new Golden Child. She has been working hard and doing really well. She is almost ready to compete in Novice obedience. I want her sit stays to be a bit more reliable and for her to be a little more polished. Other than that, she can do all of the exercises and is pretty darn cute.

This is Riley working on heeling figure "8s". She is really good at moving her rear end, but over does it and steps on me. Its funny to see in this video how wide she steps.

Here is more figure "8" heeling, but outside with better light. It was Christmas day and very cold and windy. Snookums was with me and able to video so I did not pass up the chance despite the weather.

Here is some regular heeling. Nice and focused.

I am starting to train jackpots. Riley and Reagan are both learning that you do this for a couple of minutes and you get an extra big treat.

Here is a front and finish. Excellent front. It is straight, but the finish was crooked.

8 comments:

Granted Wishes Greyhounds said...

You know, you 2 are just showoffs is what you are. Nicely done. ;-) However, Reagan's funnier. (Don't tell Riley.)

BTW, my word for leaving this comment is: moned. LOL

houndstooth said...

Riley reminds me so much of Bunny! She gets crazy happy like that when we practice obedience, too. I love that little move with her foot. Too cute!

greytblackdog said...

I love that Riley was secretly saving up her brains and talent, just waiting for Reagan to falter just a little, so that she can become the golden child. Threats of the B team are no longer possible. You go Riley!

Barb said...

Just beautiful!! You are a gifted trainer, and your dogs are brilliant!!

Watching your training videos, I can't help but think of the old wives' tale that Greyhounds can't sit... have you ever heard of that? I assume it started because their thighs are so muscular sometimes they don't seem to sit all the way down. You see the same thing in well conditioned Dobes and Danes.

But I even knew a Greyhound rescue group not long ago that refused to adopt dogs to anyone who wanted to do obedience training with them! How wrong is that?

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

Crazy happy is a good way to describe Riley... but Reagan is hilarious.

Thank you, Barb. Its funny because I don't think I heard all of the myths prior to getting my first greyhound. By the time I had heard, I already had a couple of greyhounds that could sit and come when called. And sadly, there are still stone age groups that are opposed to working with these dogs. Not a lot, but some really feel that they should be 'retired"... which is why SEGA no longer uses the word retired... they are simply "former racing" or "ex-racers". But no reason for a 3 year old dog to live the rest of its life on a couch.

Jen

Elaine Summerhill said...

Riley is certainly a happy heeler! Does her tail ever stop?

jcp said...

Would you mind sharing how you are giving your dogs rewards. It looks like you are taking something from your mouth. I'm very interested to know how that works.

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

I have cheese or chicken in my mouth. It keeps her focusing up towards my face than on a pocket. Its especially helpful for fronts. If I pull a treat out of a pocket, they tend to line up with the pocket and not straight... but lining up with my face is straight.