Thursday, November 12, 2009

Homebound

Katie is finally trapped at home. She is no longer able to fight off the demons as they now accompany her in both of our vehicles. I know there are many dogs that get car sick or who associate cars with a bad experience, but Katie is the worst I have seen. She is truly panic stricken. She refuses to load and if given a chance will jump out and run to the house. It truly boggles my mind when she has thousands of positive experiences to draw from.

We started Katie on the generic form of Prozac. My dream would be that she regains her mental balance and can once again go every where I go. Her quality of life would be so much better. If not, maybe the drug will reduce her overall stress level and reaction to noises.For now, I do my best to entertain Katie at home. She gets 2 stuffed, frozen Kongs everyday and I groom her. I work with her when the backyard is dry. I occasionally bike her around the neighborhood... unfortunately, her nails wear down excessively in the rear so I cannot do it more than once a week. I would love to teach her some tricks, but she gets really stressed when we fluctuate from the usual. Katie is a machine and will do the things she is trained to do all day long, but she seems unable to download new programs at this point. We also do not allow our dogs on the couch, but decided to start inviting Katie to sit with us. However, it is a new thing and Katie is not comfortable on the couch at all and gets off as soon as she is given the opportunity. Maybe the Prozac will ease the stress of new things as well.

11 comments:

Stephanie said...

My cocker spaniel Lady was afraid of everything and I eventually put her an an anti-depressant as well. It didn't make a difference. When ultimately ended up helping was time, and putting her on a diet of real food, meat and vegetables. It was basically the raw diet but with cooked meat. You should look into it. It made a huge difference for Lady.

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

Thanks for the tip. Katie is on a raw diet and has been for 9 years now. I really think its just her getting old and unable to manage the issues anymore since she was more than sane up until a year ago. So glad Lady is doing much better with healthy food. That is so much better than having to use a drug.

Jen

Tarmar said...

I am so sorry to about Katie! My old man Tigger also got less and less comfortable with the car as he advanced in years. Not as bad as Katie though. I ended up making the same decision to leave him home when I took everyone else out. He was happier that way. I think you are making the best decision you can. I hope the medicine does help to ease her discomfort. It is so hard to see them that way!

IHeartDogs said...

I hope the prozac helps her out. Poor sweetie pie.
I was wondering do you think getting her some heavy duty boots would prevent the nails from wearing down too quickly and allow more bike rides?
{{{Katie}}}

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

LOL :-), I tried the boots, but she had a lot of trouble and then they eventually flew off. I have a different kind also that I should probably try.

Zan said...

Poor Katie! Watching them age is so hard. She sounds almost like a person with Alzheimer's. Here's hoping the meds help ease her fears.

gyeong said...

Hoping the Prozac hits her reset button. We've used it on several occasions with cats and dogs with good results.

Katie said...

Poor Katie. I hope that the Prozac will bring her some relief from her anxiety.

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

Thanks everyone. I will definitely keep you posted.

Barb said...

I'm so sorry to hear this - I know how much it breaks your heart to see her like this. Hopefully the prozac will help - if it doesn't, talk to your vet about other anti-anxiety drugs. I think there are several now that have been used in dogs, and they are different enough that if one doesn't work another one might.
I'll keep you both in my thoughts and prayers!

Sientay L said...

I haven't read your blog recently. I'm so sad to hear Katie is no longer able to ride in the cars. I will bring a few more rarely used stuffies when we come up for the gala.