Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Ta Da!

Reagan was switched from raw food to kibble about 1 and half months ago and she looks fantastic! I am so pleased with her progress. Her hair is growing back, her coat feels soft again, and she is back to an ideal weight.
As you know, in April, I noticed admitted Reagan was losing hair. She also did not have stools consistent with other greyhounds fed raw food. I have fed a raw food diet to my greyhounds for the last decade and could not have been happier until my problems with Reagan.
At this point, I think that it is safe to conclude that raw food was all wrong for Reagan. As you know, I sought cooked diet advice from a holistic vet who recommended that I feed a high quality commercial food rather than try to cook. I know that many raw diet fans were appalled that a holistic vet would do such a thing, but I was truly relieved. I really do not want to cook a homemade diet. I think my time is better spent enjoying my hounds than slaving in a kitchen.
You may have noticed that I did not post many picture of Reagan over the last couple of months. The truth is that I was embarrassed. It is hard for me to admit that a dog I acquired as a picture of health would decline my care, but I aim to educate, so I am going to share some of the awful pictures.

Taken June 21, 2009.


The rest taken June 10, 2009

I mostly want to share this information because I think it presents a clear problem with raw food written by someone who loves to feed raw food. Most of the negative material written about raw food is inflated and simply incorrect in my opinion. Its written by someone who has never fed raw food. I feel my education has come full circle. I have seen kibble miracles and I have seen raw food miracles. One diet does not fit all and I would be quicker to try kibble if I encounter this situation again.

However, I do want to emphasize that this is not an anti-raw food post. I have seen several dogs make significant improvements when switched to raw food. One of my first raw diet greyhounds, Teresa (see below), was very prone to problems with bacteria. Horrible oral health (much worse than a typical NGA greyhound), skin infections, urinary tract infections, and anal gland infections. These problems literally disappeared on raw food.

I have also seen dogs suffering from kibble caused digestive disasters cured with raw food. I would strongly suggest trying a few days of raw food before switching your dog to one of the irritable bowel foods. You may see a huge improvement in just 12 hours.

And if you already feed raw food, keep an open mind. I was lucky that my vet did not think skin scraping and biopsies would be telling. That an intestinal scope and biopsy would be a waste of time. Those tests would have been expensive and awful to put Reagan through. Just know that one day, you may encounter a dog that just cannot make use of the nutrients in raw food and requires the food to be cooked first.

Lastly, if you happen upon this post due to searching about raw food problems, click here to see all of my posts about Reagan's problem.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad Reagan is doing better! My dog can only have high-quality commercial dog food. When we tried to switch him over to a raw food diet he became violently ill. I am still a huge supporter of the diet though.

BrittBeah said...

Well, it looks like your prissy princess is going to be the easiest to feed out of all your hounds. How funny is that.
I have a good friend that is having problems picking a good food that her dog can tollerate. I forwaded your blog to her in hopes it may help. She is considering cooking for her pup. We shall see how it goes.

Jemma the Chihuahua said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jemma the Chihuahua said...

Lovely. I'm so happy it worked out all well for her!

You would be surprised at how many negative comments I got when I discovered the same thing for Jemma. I was accused of not doing things right, that's why she was suffering on a raw diet...or that it must be the vegetables I fed her because they don't need vegetables, etc. It's good to see other open-minded people out there - some raw feeders that I've encountered were just plain rude and even told me that I didn't have to spend all that $ at the vet's...they could've "fixed" it for me by telling me what to feed...and all for free! (And it would have been shifting around raw ingredients and eliminating supplements, never cooked/kibble).

But YAY, Reagan!

Anonymous said...

Oh, she looks GREYT now! I'm thrilled that she's blossoming on her new food. Thank you so very much for your balanced approach to canine diets. One diet doesn't fit all. Reagan is looking absolutely stunning!

IHateToast said...

holy mcmoly!

eag said...

She looks great and you did your best for her, just goes to show how individual they all are.Mine gets very upset on a diet other than raw meat.

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

She is definitely a prissy princess :-). Kibble is definitely easier to feed and travel with, but SOOOO MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE!!!

It was kind of funny. I posted to a raw food list and got some weird answers. A few folks emailed me privately obviously afraid of the scorn of posting publically. Maybe we need to start a "Balanced" groups list.

I was afraid Reagan would be hard to switch because she LOVES raw food, but she has adjusted just fine, thank goodness.

Jen

Hiking Hounds said...

Congratulations, she looks great! I'm so glad this worked for her and that you were able to figure it out! YEAH!

Caron

Katie said...

She's looking great! Bottom line: you've got to feed what works for your dog.

Shannon Turner said...

Congratulations! She does look great. Your post was a very well rounded explaination and, for those seaking your advice, it only increases your credibility.

gyeong said...

As a pragmatist, I support the 'whatever works' method. Glad to see Reagan is looking much better.

Stephanie said...

I had the same problem with my dogs. They weren't losing hair, but I had a lot of trouble keeping weigh on them even though I was feeding them twice what the vet recommended. I had to switch back to kibble and they're all doing great today.

Life at Star's Rest said...

I've done a RAW diet with our greyhounds for around four years now and when I started having health issues last year, keeping up with it was just too much for me. I went to a mix of RAW and one of the new simple ingredient dry foods and was amazed at the difference in our big tuxedo boy when many of his odd little health issues disappeared. I'm healthy enough to go back to the old way of feeding now but will stick with this instead. Thanks for this post! Carmon

Sientay L said...

I'm so glad you've finally found the answer to Reagan's problems. She looks fantastic! She looks like a new dog:)

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

I find that interesting that many of you seem to have had similar problems. Few talk about it. I think I am leaning towards a half and half diet.

Jen

Denise- LessIsMore17 said...

That is a major difference! Great "after" shots, who took those;-)

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

You did, Denise! You did a great job. Of course, I did a great job posing them :-). Great team!

Jen