Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Fate?



This might be silly, but I love thinking that Riley is apart of "the plan" or that she was meant to be. I already told you that her last race was the same day that Travis passed away, but it also occurred to me that she was sent to Southeastern Greyhound Adoption soon after her race career ended.


How was that possible? Generally, there is a backlog of non-cat-safe greyhounds at the Jefferson County Kennel Club adoption kennel and I wondered how she got to the front of the line without being cat safe. Adoption groups have a high demand for cat safe greyhounds, so those with low prey drives tend to move through the adoption pipeline faster than their high prey drive cousins.




Fortunately, Riley was somehow mislabeled cat safe, so she earned a first class ticket on the next boat to adoption. Well, I don't look at cat safe greyhounds (I know its sad that I don't give those poor dogs a chance.... sorry, Jules, just joking with you :-), so I did not give her even a first look. At the time, I was working with Robin anyway. When Robin left, I rechecked the SEGA website for greyhounds that were not cat safe. By then, Riley had showed her true colors and her cat safe status had been changed. She had been retested and failed. Now I was interested.


So was it fate that brought her to me? I don't know. I was playing with the word "fate" and had narrowed down to the name "Never Doubt Fate". When Toni mentioned "Never A Doubt" in a blog comment, I fell in love with the sound of that. So Riley is also known as "Never A Doubt".


15 comments:

BrittBeah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
BrittBeah said...

I love it!
What a wonder the universe is when the stars and moons align and you hold your head just so and jump on one leg, then it spits out something wonderful just when you need it.

Addie said...

Jen, there are too many coincidences for this not to have been part of some grand scheme if you ask me.

I love the sound of Never A Doubt. It's just perfect!

Addie

Sientay L said...

That's a great name, Never a doubt.

Denise- LessIsMore17 said...

Love the name!

There is always something "bigger than us" going on behind the scenes.

Maria Peters said...

Wonderful pics. Never a doubt. It's perfect.

She is a very lucky girl.

Zan said...

Perfect :-)!!

Anonymous said...

I had tossed that name out not knowing all of the details about how Riley made it to Utopia! Glad you liked it enough to use it. As I stated in that blog post I'm going to have to keep an eagle eye Riley's training and career.

And yes, things can seem a bit eerie when something like this falls into place.
Toni

KF-in-Georgia said...

Never a Doubt she was meant for you.

Pam said...

Tilly/Riley told us she liked kitties! I know she lied, just so she could get a quick trip out of JCKC. :-)

Meanwhile, Robin continues to do well with us. He's learning to settle in his x-pen, even when he can see us in the next room. He hasn't "chirped" for a couple of weeks! He has graduated to full house privledges, most of the time.

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

Toni, I know.. I thought that was funny you just suddenly through that name out there when I hadn't mentioned the Never Doubt Fate.

Pam, Riley LOVES kitties.... just not appropriately :-). Its not a mutually beneficial kind of relationship at least not for the cats. She is definitely a high prey hunter.

Jen

Anonymous said...

Riley is beautiful and Never a Doubt is perfect. I might be wrong but it looks like her waistline is getting smaller. Could Reagan have some competition next year? Your girls look so fit and healthy. I was curious about how Katie got her name, I love the stories behind the names. Carrie

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

Carrie - I was already planning on posting something about Katie's name. I already took the pictures needed :-).

Riley probably has lost a little weight. She was a bit thick when I picked her up. I don't think she'll beat Reagan though... Reagan is just so petite.

Jen

Sientay L said...

I bet Katie's Never Had Braces name came because she's such a perfect dog, never needing any corrections:)

Stephen said...

Oh no, Sientay, it's MUCH more appropriate than that =-)