Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Hooded Hooey


Ok, lets switch to something more lighthearted. First of all, does this make Reagan a butt head? Or is that an ass hat? (Sorry FIL and MIL :-).




Since we were at the vet, I wanted to ask my vet about Reagan's female nether region...... lets call it her hooey (sounds like who-ee). It is rather tiny and it is sort of trapped under a flap of skin or a hood. My vet confirmed that she had a little bit of vaginitis and that her hooded hooey could be prone to chronic infections in the future. One option if it is indeed a problem, the hood could be surgically altered. There is a history of good results with the procedure.





Another option, I could allow Reagan to go through one heat cycle which could permanently increase the size of her hooey lessening the likelihood of problems.




Reagan is currently not spayed. Generally for pet owners, vets recommend spaying at 6 months since most dogs tend to start coming into season soon after 6 months. However, dog performance minded individuals see some benefits to allowing the dog to become an adult, complete the growing process, and allow all of the growth plates to close before spaying. The great thing about greyhounds, they tend to not come into season for a couple of years. I know people with 2 and 3 year old intact female greyhounds that have never come into season. I was planning on spaying Reagan at 18 months (October), but this puts a wrench in my plan. I did not particularly want to go through a heat cycle with Reagan. I have never been there or done that. My females have always been spayed. I'm told a heat cycle lasts for about 3 - 4 weeks and opinions vary between "its not that bad" to "its awful".





I'll have to do a little more research on the hooded hooey before I made a decision.



11 comments:

Maria said...

LOL!

Joo-ey has a hooded hoo-ey too-ey.

She's had the ol' vaginitis twice in the short time I've had her....so removin' the hood might be in our plans.

Denise- LessIsMore17 said...

Oh just breed her, that will open up her hoodey!

Denise- LessIsMore17 said...

And yes that makes her both a butt had and ass hat!

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

Denise, you are sick, sick, sick! :-)

Jen

brittbeah said...

How funny that you mention this. I just got my summer issue of Celebrating Greyhounds, they have an entire article on this 'Options for Treating Perivulvar Dermatitis' pg. 14- 15. Personally I would elect the surgery, a 60- 70lb dog on its period is like having a child on its period! EWWW at the mess.

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

Brittbeah, I saw the article too! I know what you mean.... and a 3-4 week long period... yuck! I wonder if the "alteration" could be done when she is spayed. I already plan to have the little tag taken off of her ear and to have her microchipped while she is asleep already.

Jen

Anonymous said...

Jen, Ellie is INTACT, not a HO and has chronic UTI's. Emma is a WHOR-, intact and has never had any UTI'S or anything else. And she is going on Check drops SOON!!! As in August, one month before her next heat. Emma makes me miserable during heat cycles and Ellie was not so bad...
I did check drops for Ellie just for performance dog goals (MACH, UD, etc...)
Spay poor Reagan and don't suffer the variablitity of female hormones!! :) Michelle

greytblackdog said...

i think bum bonnet is most appropriate. LOL.

i heard a hooded hoo-ey is all the rage on the runways this fall.

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

You guys are all so funny. Thanks for the chuckle.

Jen

Patti said...

A hooded hooey? Too funny. My dear Sugar has the same (and a little one as well. She also had vaginitis once before. I laughed so hard at her - wondering how the heck she could have contracted such a thing. It was treated and nothing since. (The doc suggested the damp grass and her squatting so low caused it.) I would think it would be something they could take care of during her spay surgery. Poor Reagan - I bet she'd cringe knowing everyone is chatting about her hooded hooey!

IHateToast said...

there's a thread on this topic in ravelry in the greyhound group, if you are familiar with ravelry.

have you read the writing class by jincy willett? the ass hat comment reminded me of that. it's a good read. nothing about hooded hooeys, veiled vajayjays, bedecked bedinas, etc.

eh. hard to make a lighthearted post when i've read the news about travis already.