Thursday, June 12, 2008

Chicken Backs

The worst part about feeding 6 greyhounds raw food is that you need a lot of chicken backs. I remember the day when I only had 2 greyhounds and a box or 2 of chicken backs lasted a month. Yesterday, we purchased our 2 1/2 month supply of chicken backs = 360 pounds. I know it sounds like a lot........ and your right, it is :-). It takes us almost 2 hours to place them all into containers and into our 2 upright freezers. I'd much rather process a large volume at one time and have it last for a few months. Otherwise, I'd be purchasing chicken backs every week. Once we have our large supply in place, feeding raw food is easy, but I will admit that this part is more time consuming than just buying a bag of kibble.... and while they are starting to make raw food that comes in a bag..... I'm not quite willing to pay the hefty price....... especially for 6 greyhounds.

9 comments:

Maria said...

MMMM....makes me hungry! LOL.

Kathy said...

Wow--that's a LOT of chicken backs! You're such a dedicated hound mom!

greytblackdog said...

i think that your freezers would be the first on the list if bears ever escaped the zoo and were looking for something to eat. i hope they have locks on them :)

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

Maria, chicken backs almost make me want to stop being a vegetarian. So far I have been able to resist the temptation to put one on the grill :-).

Hmmmm.... I never thought about the escaped zoo animal risk. I better check my homeowner's policy.

Jen

SharronL said...

Your freezers are so much neater than mine!!

Sharron

Sientay L said...

YUMMY!! Makes me wanna feed raw to Dino and Pebbles.....NOT! You and Stephen have got this down to a science. I don't think I have the patience for raw food.
How's Reagan doing on the raw diet?

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

Reagan is doing great on raw food. She never missed a beat and she loves it. Her teeth are so beautiful and white. I hope I can keep them that way.

Jen

Maria said...

on the grill? what a fab idea (gag)

Denise- LessIsMore17 said...

GROSS! :-o