Monday, November 12, 2007

Odds and Ends

Katie swam for an hour again tonight. Eva really worked her good. She did a lot of just bringing her to one end of the pool and letting Katie swim her hardest to the other end where I was waiting with a treat. Her little face was cute with desperation..... you would have thought she hadn't eaten in days, but that is Katie for you. She was really using her hind legs good during these fast swims. I am also going to try to swim her more frequently. Katie has this twist that occurs from weakness with each step of the left hind leg. I fear that it may become permanent as she continues to walk this way and practice it. It wouldn't be the end of the world if it continues, but we will strive for 100% and see what we get. She is negotiating the downside of small flights of stairs fairly well now. She still isn't using her left leg very well when she squats to go potty. I try to force her to keep it in line with the other hind leg. If not, she sometimes loses her balance and falls. I did let her canter/gallop/run.... whatever you want to call it....... for a few strides yesterday. I put her in a sit stay and called her to me. She did fine, but was definitely a bit out of balance so I think we will wait longer before doing that again.

Travis and I are getting ready for the invitational in CA. He is running very well. We were able to get some practice indoors on mats last Saturday. He ran very well and the course was very tricky. I've started to pack, I've made my lists, and I am feeling pretty organized about it at this point. Stephen is going to take Katie to swimming and to physical therapy while I am gone.......... huge load off me. I wasn't sure when I was going to find the time to go before and after the trip. Thanks, Stephen!

And Rory, the agility greyhound from Indiana, is doing better. He is being treated with antibiotics and steroids. Sharon is going to be working with a neurologist to try and determine the best course of action going forward.