Saturday, September 8, 2007

Hiking

I am trying to be less anal and take Travis and Katie hiking about 2 days a week instead of training. It makes for a nice short break during the week. We often join Stephen, my husband, and his 3 greyhounds. Yes, they are off leash (big greyhound rule breaker!!!), but they all have been systematically trained to recall, we are on private property where it is allowed, and we keep the dogs between us. One person keeps the dogs in front and the other person keeps the dogs behind. The greyhounds are absolutely not allowed to run ahead of us. That to me is the most annoying thing about hiking.......encountering other dogs belonging to other people well before we ever see their people. The beauty to keeping the dogs behind you is #1 You are the pack leader as Cesar Milan would say. Thus making all of the decisions about where, when, and how fast. #2 I see wildlife, other dogs, and people first. I saw a mother possum with 3 babies on her back the other day and I was able to quickly turn around and distract the greyhounds while she passed.