Monday, July 25, 2016

MOTC Trial - Maddie

Maddie double qualified on the first day..... the only day that did not get videoed, of course.  She is being silly again and running by weave poles a lot.  She never does in training so I go to trials with all of the confidence that she will nail them in competition and then she doesn't.  Hopefully it will subside soon.



Maddie now has 7 double qualifiers and 5 of those count towards Nationals.  I believe we need 2 more QQs and 200 more points to be officially qualified.  We have until November 30th, I believe, so I feel good about our position.

At this trial, we camped in a tent in a barn.  The girls and I are pretty experienced at this and have been doing it for years along with several friends.  In the middle of the night we awoke to rain pouring down on the metal roof.  It was deafening!  So I checked radar and was not thrilled to see what we were in for.
All those severe thunderstorms headed right for us.  Again, thankfully we were under a roof.  I considered whether to pull the van in and load the dogs into the van, but it was already pouring down rain so I decided it was best for us to stay put. The storms were quite loud and Maddie was nervous. She does not have any noise issues (and I want to keep it that way), but she is not fearless like Seven and Riley are. So I sat up with her for a couple of hours just keeping her calm and reassuring her that the storm was no big deal.... even though I was a little worried about it.  We survived and I think all in all Maddie handled it great.

6 comments:

Jean Lawson said...

Sure glad your tent was under a roof during the storm.

Trina said...

Lizzie has a similar issue..slightly nervous and I am trying very hard to prevent full storm phobia. The recent rash of severe storms here has made this difficult. Keep up the good work, Maddie!!!

Laura Monk said...

Just found your blog and I've been reading it for the past hour and a half and wondering if you have any advice for handling a 5 yr old male who never had a problem going outside for a walk in the evening util this past July 4th when the folks in our neighborhood set off an arsenal of fireworks. He will not get up after being fed his evening meal except to go upstairs to bed. I would love to know how i can get him up and outside for a walk before bed.
I am concerned that he does not relieve himself for 10 hours. He is also very scared of thunderstorms and we have had quite a few of them in the late afternoon. He shakes and pants and goes to the laundry room during those times of noise. Thanks for any suggestions.

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

Laura, you might do a behavioral consult with Tufts University. For a fee, you are assigned a behaviorist for a period of time and together you comb through your problems. They make suggestions and you two work through what works. I did it with Reagan. He may also need drugs (helped Reagan a lot), but I didn't want to go with a regular vet recommendation. Tufts is much more qualified to provide drug suggestions than a general vet.

Unfortunately, dealing with phobias and fears sucks big time. Its especially hard when you have to walk and don't have a fenced yard. I definitely do my best to avoid, mask, and/or create positive experiences with storms and fireworks.

10 hours of not going to the bathroom is not a big deal. If he can hold it, I wouldn't worry about it.

Laura Monk said...

Thanks so much for you suggestions! I will look into Tufts. Also glad to hear 10 hours is not a big deal! He has not had any accidents so I guess he can definitely hold it. I'll be following your blog. I'll let you know how it goes.

genji said...

Almost there. Just a few more clean runs. Luckily, our Thundershirts stay in the closet with our current crew.