Monday, May 23, 2016

And Just Like That...

It is over. Seven is retired. I have tried to deny, delay, compromise, and negotiate, but through lots of tears I have finally accepted it. Seven is retired.
There will be no MACH5. The Invitational invite will be declined.  We won't qualify for Nationals. There is definitely no more "just one more year". There is not going to be one more final run. Seven is retired.
We have battled Seven's soundness issues since 2012. I am grateful that we gained almost 4 years despite the first vet looking at her carpal joint x-ray and saying that she would probably have to retire soon. She did not at that time, but now....... Seven is retired.
I assumed that eventually the wrist would become too sore and arthritic, but it came down to toes. Seven has two middle toes that now rub together on her already troubled left front (I will explain more in another post).  I just wanted to get it off my chest that Seven is retired.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry you have had to make this decision,such a fantastic dog,with a great handler,may she enjoy a long and happy retirement xx

Tracy Stubstad said...

Happy retirement sweet Seven!

Brenda Evanick said...

The two of you have been such a great inspiration to so many folks. Thank you. Enjoy her retirement. Many more great days to come.

Apex Agility Greyhounds said...

Sorry to hear this Jen. It's so hard to battle physical health against mental health of our hounds when making these decisions. You've made the decision you feel is best for Seven. She has had an absolutely amazing career, and I hope you can find another sport to set her mind to. I know you've done obedience in the past. If that's still too much for her feet, maybe consider Nosework. I started it with Summit recently and both hounds really love it!

Kylie said...

Happy retirement:)

Tina said...

A hard decision but you did what was best for Seven.

Janette Ash said...

Let me say I read this post with baited breath and was relieved to learn there is no serious illness with our girl Seven. It is a bitter sweet posting never the less. I am sad to hear she will be retiring but also happy she is retiring after completing an amazing career. It has been a privilege to tag along with her (and you Jennifer) as she accomplished so much in her agility (and movie career) Thank you so much for sharing this with all of us. As a team, you are both very inspirational to me. Jennifer, my thoughts and best wishes are with you as you come to terms with this next stage in Seven's life. I am sure I speak for everyone when I say thank you and we wish you all the best in your retirement Seven, sweet, sweet girl. We admire you both.

Greyhounds CAN Sit said...

Janette expressed my thoughts perfectly :) Seven is going out on such a high, the best way! Nothing will change the fact that you and your dogs are an amazing, inspirational team that we Greyhound owners respect and admire. I'm sure there will be plenty more adventures and successes to share and I look forward to reading about them :)

Mare said...

Sending hugs! I know it was a difficult decision, but you have done everything to keep her happy and healthy, and this is a good decision for her.