Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Alan the Galgo

Alan is a Galgo living in Spain. Most greyhound lovers know about the plight of the Spanish Greyhound. They are bred for hunting and coursing, but when the hunting season is over thousands of unwanted galgos are left on the streets or worse. Many are thrown down wells, buried alive, or hung from trees. The suffering these hounds endure is horrific.
Alan was found hanging from a tree along with four other galgos. He and a puppy were rescued in time and taken to an animal shelter.  Unfortunately, he was attacked by another dog and sustained serious injuries. Thankfully, he was then saved by The Association Galgoleku and adopted soon after by Isabel.
Alan was only about a year old when he was pulled down from the tree so you can imagine he was very frightened. But with love and patience, he has gained his confidence and has even learned to do agility.
This video makes me cry everytime I see it.  First, you see Alan doing agility when he was still very fearful and in need of a lot of encouragement. And then a year later you see the tremendous progress he has made!  It is very touching.
I have been meaning to post this for probably a year now. I tried to touch base with Isabel to see if she had any updates, but I did not hear back.  Hopefully she will see this and know that I did not completely forget.

10 comments:

Milo and Jet said...

Glad to see Alan finally got the love and care he so deserved :) Milo & Jet

Greyhounds CAN Sit said...

Wonderful to see a 'happy ever after' Galgo story :) Alan is such a gorgeous boy. Owning a Galgo is on my wish list but the logistics of getting one to New Zealand are quite complicated. Then what if it didn't fit in with my guys, I can't foster to adopt like you can a Greyhound here! I really should just set up a sponsorship for one. They need all the help they can get.

Anna S said...

Long-time reader but never posted. I've had my galgo over 6 years now. Went from probably close to rock bottom with her, to...agility! Well, we try. I'm keen, and she's lazy, so together we're the laughing stock of the class (my laughter included). Knowing how far they've come makes it that much better.

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

Good luck, Anna!

Trina said...

Wow..That was a powerful video. So proud of Alan!!
(Roxi's trainer said she would be great for agility. Once I get through the busy fall, I'm hoping to enroll her in beginning agility!)

Janette Ash said...

What an inspirational video and post. Thank you for sharing. And Anna, if you read this, don't give up. I know what if feels like being the least skilled in the class, but I assure you no one is laughing at you. The most wonderful thing about agility is the support our peers extend to us. We all cheer on the dogs to succeed. Your success is everyone's success and your achievements applauded by all.

ariagurl said...

Thank you so much for posting this video. Its beautiful, touching and inspiring. The partnership between man and canine is timeless - and all the more so someone like Isabel realizes we have much to answer for in letting these gentle creatures down and steps in. Kudos to her for saving Alan and giving him safety and joy. This will stay with me a long time. Thank you for sharing it.

Sue said...

Thank you for sharing this with us. I had never heard about galgos, until you posted this. I almost cheered when I saw how Alan changed, in such a short time. Please continue to do what you can to rescue these beautiful dogs.

Danebae said...

The team Alan-Isabel just got their third point (0 faults course) and is qualified for Agility Grade 2 in spain RSCE - FCI.
This means that the team Alan-Isabel can now try to qualify for the championship of Spain Agility
It was an emotional day in which we could see the reward of many years of hard work, love and patienece
https://vimeo.com/182322924
more videos of alan:
https://vimeo.com/agilityeuskadi/videos/search:alan/sort:date

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

Thanks for the update! Glad to hear you two are still doing so well. I just actually was telling some friends about Alan the other day and had send him that video that is posted on my blog. They were all touched by it. Lots of well wishes for your continued success. Good luck earning a championship! Jen