Friday, March 21, 2014

All Grown Up

Maddie got her period. It is hard to believe that she is all grown up now. This was my first experience with an intact bitch going through a heat cycle. It was kind of fascinating, but not something Maddie needs to do twice.  My plan is to spay her in July when she is two years old.

For those that have intact non-greyhounds, you are probably thinking that 20 months old is a super late bloomer, but greyhounds tend to be.  Some take as long as three years.
Maddie's timing was excellent.  She started March 1st and we were not going to be traveling to any agility trials in the next four weeks so it was not too inconvenient.
Maddie went into season while we had foster dog, Grover. He was a fantastic playmate. Lots of play bows, darting back and forth, and offering to be chased.  He was completely irresistible... yet Maddie ignored him. In fact, she walked over to me for a hug.  I knew something was up then.
 "I don't play those silly games anymore. I'm all grown up."

During Maddie's special time, she was a little low on energy and did not carry toys around the house like she normally does.

The really fun part were the panties.  Maddie had pink and purple ones, but they just don't fit greyhounds.  The tail hole is way too big.  So big, you might call them crotchless underwear in fact. Completely defeating the purpose of putting them on your dog in the first place. So I had to jerry-rig it.
I would bunch up the material for a snugger fit around her tail and place a rubber band around it. The husband's first go at it resulted in this text:
With practice, Stephen got much better with the panties... and he does not hate me.
Luckily, Grover was out of the house before Maddie started to find him attractive. Luckily the newly neutered male seemed quite clueless. He just wanted to play. And how freakin adorable is he?  We liked him a lot!  He traveled to Maine a couple of weeks ago and was adopted last weekend!

14 comments:

jet said...

Grover is absolutely adorable, we like the clueless boys here, innocent perhaps!!!

Maddie is a good girl keeping her panties on!

What Remains Now said...

You are right. Maddy just standing there while another pup is offering to play doesn't look natural. You're a big girl now, Maddy. Glad Grover found a home. He's a cutie.

Tasha said...

Whew! What an interesting story! I'm pretty sure I'm going to wait with my future girls, if I have any where it's my choice. Thanks for sharing, cute/funny post! :)

(I can't believe Maddie is almost 2!!)

Hazel said...

I never knew that greyhounds were slow to go into heat! I hope Maddy doesn't loose all those fun puppy traits!

Greyhounds Aren't Grey said...

I learn all kinds of things from your blog. Have never had any experience with an intact dog, male or female. I am laughing though because we have a pair of those "panties" in black which Blue wears when we travel for work. Sometimes he forgets he's in a crate in a hotel room and pees before I come back to let him out. His diaper as we call it, helps remind him that he should hold it till mumma comes and takes him outside. Miss Maddie is all grown up. Sigh.

Apex Agility Greyhounds said...

Poor Mad Dog! I am not looking forward to this. And unfortunately, due to some recent education I've had, it looks like Kili will be doing this several times before I spay her. FML. I do think it is probably time to come up with a plan for sanitary panties before her first season catches us unprepared. I'm not even sure where to get any! Sigh.

Ruby The Whippet said...

Oh wow her very first heat? Java is in her third right now. She's not looking any more mature, though. She would play with your foster in a heartbeat :)

So funny to see Maddie just standing there while Grover was trying sooo hard :)

Amy / Layla the Malamute said...

That's funny, Layla's tail is so massively fluffy the normal panties didn't fit her. I had to buy boys boxer shorts and put her tail through the hole! She was not a fan.

I'll be at Nationals next weekend. Not sure if we'll see each other but I'll be wishing you luck! I'm not competing. Between my surgery and recovery and Layla's surgery and recovery we barely trialed. But I'm looking forward to seeing everyone.

Greyhounds CAN Sit said...

I've never experienced a 'big girl dog' season, only Shelties. I guess it could get quite messy whereas my Shelties used to keep themselves clean. Sounds like Stephen will be happy about Maddie being spayed! That Grover is a bit of a hunk :) I'm not surprised he was snapped up quickly.

houndstooth said...

Oh, thank you for a good belly laugh this morning! We're still waiting to neuter K├╝ster because we want him to be fully grown up, too, and that will probably be around three years old. I am not surprised at all that you're still waiting with Maddie, and I have to say that this post has made it all worth it to me! I will be snickering about this all day.

Janette Ash said...

When I opened your blogspot, first thing I saw was Maddie's pink bum... poor Maddie, she got the curse, no wonder she was a little off. Our babe is grown up... a little sad for all Maddie fans.

Trina said...

That is so funny that you call them panties too. Shiloh has to wear them b/c she is old and needs a diaper..and I call them her pink panties. too funny. Welcome to adulthood, Maddie!

cindi said...

Ahh, the trick to greyhounds and periods - adult diapers like Depends. Just cut a slit for the tail to fit. They have ties on the side you can adjust with ribbon or cloth or whatever. A whippet person once suggested baby diapers to me - problem is baby diapers (even the largest size) were too small for big beefy greyhound thighs. Depends. And send your husband to buy them ;)

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

I will definitely keep the Depends in mind, Cindi! Good idea... especially sending the husband out for them. :-)

Amy, so funny about having the opposite problem of too thick of a tail! :-)