Monday, October 22, 2012

14 Weeks - Back Talk

Does that look like the face of a defiant back talker?  Don't be fooled by the innocent face.









Maddie is a big back talker.  She barks more than any of my other greyhounds.  She lets out a bark when she sees something exciting.  She barks and growls when we wrestle and play.  She is a loud growler when she tugs.
I do want to make sure Maddie does not greet other dogs by barking.  I especially want to make sure she is not one of those dogs everyone hates to pass that explodes at the end of the leash at other dogs.  She can be reactive especially if the other dog starts it, so we practice ignoring such dogs.  Right now, she is about half and half.  Sometimes very neutral and is very good.  Other times she will bark once or twice and lunge at the end of her leash. It is interesting to look at her behaviors today and wonder if she is just being a puppy and will outgrow them. Or are some of these minor flags to issues that are easily turned around while she is a puppy, but could be a lot worse as an adult.  I will definitely remain proactive with her behavior around other dogs.  And the growling.  I love it. I think it is cute and am not worried about it.  
Maddie used to bark a lot more at my own hounds.  Just around the house, she would find what ever they are doing to be very exciting and would start barking.  That has definitely improved so I hope with all of the outings we are doing that she will start to find the other dogs less exciting as well.  The six days of agility trials this month will be excellent practice for her.

10 comments:

Sylvie and the Greys said...

I also adooore the growling when we play. It's cute to hear the soft puppy growl so different from the low deep growl of my 90 lbs Jock!! Some character that Maddie!!

houndstooth said...

Kuster definitely went through a back talk stage with us, and sometimes he still sasses me, but he's usually pretty good around other dogs. I am betting Maddie will turn out to be fine, too!

Catalina said...

Maddie is so cute! I love seeing little puppy teeth.

Tibby use to lunge and bark at other dogs when she was a puppy. Trainers told me that she was 'just REALLY friendly! She wants to play with everyone!' Uh, no. Now I have a reactive dog that I can't even take a walk with.
We're doing the Control Unleashed program, but with the new puppy I'm hoping I can avoid the same mistakes by doing lots of CU games.

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

I love the CU stuff too. Yeah, I don't want to just dismiss stuff and assume it will get better.

Harriet said...

Referred by Hazel, this is a great greyhound information site. I especilly, love Mattie playfully growling. I have and IG, Valention, who does this to me all the time and I was thinking it might be a problem but I see it is just a fun thing. Loving this site and your Greyhounds.

Harriet said...

It was a typo, my Ig is Valentino!! I, also have another Ig named Vito! Forget about it!!!

Andreja said...

Her growling is so cute :)

I think it's very wise that you are cautious about barking and lunging thing. If nothing else, barking seems to indicate that she gets overaroused.

Anonymous said...

Interested to hear you talk about practicing with her to ignore dogs. My pup is brilliant with other dogs and greets quietly and nicely in classroom settings but if we are out walking in the park and there is a dog ahead, he barks, strains on the lead, jumps, pivots - the whole thing. As he is so large already people do not see a puppy who is excited, they see a 'bad greyhound'. :( Any tips on dealing with this? I think just placing ourselves on a park bench and exhausting his interest in watching dogs pass and giving treats and working on the 'look at me' command for the treats when others pass? Similarly, he is young and there is no aggression in it whatsoever so i don't want him to think greeting other dogs, and strange dogs in general, are not a positive thing.

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

Over aroused is definitely a great way to describe.

Right now, I try not to get away from it. So if we encounter such a dog, I stop. I gently let her know she should not bark. At this point, she is stopping and will eat my treats, so I just feed her while she gets barked at. Especially at agility trials when we are passing cars with reactive dogs... it presents a great opportunity to just stay in the bark zone and let her settle down with it.... I have no idea if this is a good idea or not.

I wish they would make a CD of just barking dogs. I would honestly like to desensitize her to it. Riley and Seven have zero reaction to barking dogs.

Unknown said...

What a great resource! We just adopted a 5 year old greyhound and I'm pretty sure I'll be visiting your blog over and over!

Love all the pictures.